[McIDAS #GHF-649340]: Question about creating another GROUP/Descriptor for IR

Hi Rod,

re:
> Ok one additional question does this work??

Did you try running it?

re:
> [reworked EFFRAD.BAT file removed and replaced below]

The following are the non-comment lines from the BATCH file listing you
included; my comments are included after each line:

ERASE F 1 3

OK, erase everything in frames 1, 2 and 3.

re:
IMGREMAP G13/IR27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3000 TIME=19:55 LAT=30:00 86:30
SIZE=320 320 PRO=MERC RES=6

Assuming that this is, in fact, one line and not two, the result is that
a new image (AREA3000) is created from the 19:55 image in the G13/IR27APR11
dataset.

Comment:

- in the original example BATCH file, the first step was to use an Effective
  Radius image to create a new image centered on a specific Lat,Lon with a
  specific resolution.

re:
IMGLIST LOC/AREAS.3000 FORM=ALL

List out full information for the image just created.

re:
IMGDISP LOC/AREAS.3000 1 LAT=30:00 86:30 EU=CLW3 SF=YES MAG=3
MAP LALO COUNTY=ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8
MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOL=1

Display the image just created.

re:
IMGCOPY LOC/AREAS.3000 MYDATA/IMAGES.3100 SIZE=SAME

Create an identical copy of the image just created (in AREA3000) in a
new image (AREA3100).

re:
IMGREMAP G13/IR27APR11 LOC/AREAS.3100 TIME=19:55

Remap the same image used to create the image in AREA3000 into the identical
copy of the image in AREA3000 created in the IMGCOPY line above.

Comments:

- this seems like a waste of effort because nothing new is created

- in the original example BATCH file, this step was the remapping of
  a VIS image into the projection of the image created from the
  Effective Radius image

re:
IMGLIST LOC/AREAS.3000 FORM=ALL

Once again list out fill information for the image created by the remap
of the 19:55 image from the G13/IR27APR11.  I am not sure why you are
doing this.

re:
IMGDISP LOC/AREAS.3100 2 LAT=30:00 86:30 EU=IMAGE SF=YES MAG=3
MAP LALO -2 INT=5 5 COUNTY=ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8
MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOL=1

Display the image in AREA3100.

re:
IMGFILT LOC/AREAS.3000 LOC/AREAS.3100 LOC/AREAS.3200 FILTER=MERGE 185 255 0

Combine the images in AREA3000 and AREA3100.  This will have no useful effect
since these images are identical in the first place.

re:
IMGDISP LOC/AREAS.3200 3 LAT=30:00 86:30 EU=CLW4 GRAY=X X X 689 SF=YES MAG=3
MAP COUNTY=ALL STATE=MS AL GA MCOL=8
MAP FILE=OUTVHPOL MCOL=1
GRAYOVER 999

Display the result of the last step, but this time use a different enhancement
and add a gray bar, etc.

re:
LB 1 3
DR 5 5
TERM L ON
WAIT 10
TERM L OFF

Loop through the frames for the three IMGDISP invocations.

re:
AXFORM 3000 EFFRADAPR2720111955 FTYPE=ASC NAV=YES 1 UNIT=TEMP

AXFORM 3100 IRAPR2720111955 FTYPE=ASC NAV=YES 1 UNIT=TEMP

Since AREA3000 and AREA3100 are identical, the information in the output files
will be identical (if you compare each output file to its counterpart,
you will see that they are identical).

re:
> Would the first row and column be 2685 would that be 268.5 K?

Yes.  You can see what the scale factor will be by examining the header file
that
was created since the header file contains the scale of each output calibration,
latitude and  longitude.  Here is a snippit from the .HDR file (both files have
the same information since AREA3000 and AREA3100 are identical):

                                 IMAGE FILE(S)

  Parameter   Unit Band  Lines  Elements   Element Format   Scale   File Name

 ------------ ---- ---- ------- -------- ------------------ ----------------

 Header                                  ASCII
IRAPR2720111955.HDR
 Temperature   K      4     320      320 ASCII Text (xI6)      10
IRAPR2720111955.A01
 Latitude       NA         320     320   ASCII Text (xI7)     100
IRAPR2720111955.ALT
 Longitude      NA         320     320   ASCII Text (xI7)     100
IRAPR2720111955.ALN

re:
> Also is there a way I can make the IREFFRADAPR2720111955.GIF less
> pixelated...maybe more of smoothing?

Since your BATCH file does not contain a FRMSAVE invocation to create a GIF
file,
I will assume that you captured the GIF somehow outside of the BATCH file
invocation...

The images will look less pixelated if you reduce the MAG= factor in the IMGDISP
invocations.  A MAG=1 will result in a display where there is a 1-for-1 mapping
of image values to displayed values.  This will result in a large border around
the displayed image portion, however.  To get rid of that, change the frame
size in your McIDAS session to something that is about the same size as the
images you are creating (which are 320x320).  I made a comment about this
option a number of emails ago.  If you have kept our exchanges, you can find
the advice by re-examining those exchanges.

Ticket ID: GHF-649340
Department: Support McIDAS