[McIDAS #NIE-529635]: problems compiling McIDAS v2009 on CentOS 6.3

Hi Robert,

re:
> I am building up a 32-bit CentOS 6.3 ws in anticipation of AWIPS II.

One comment before we deal with the McIDAS build issue: Currently neither
CAVE or EDEX (the visualization and server portions of AWIPS-II) run under
CentOS/RedHat Enterprise 6.  We know this to be true as we have been
trying to build and run the application on a machine what will be ghosted
for our upcoming training workshop series.  We have been forced to configure
the target machine as dual boot: CentOS 5.8 32-bit for AWIPS-II and CentOS
6.3 64-bit for everything else.  Just an FYI...

re:
> I am trying yo build McIDAS v2009 on it (gcc/gfortran). It fails with the
> following errors:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/mcidas/mcidas2009/g2clib'
> O3 -I/usr/mcidas/mcidas2009/g2clib/../jasper/src/libjasper/include
> -DUSE_JPEG2000 -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran  -c -o gridtemplates.o gridtemplates.c
> make[1]: O3: Command not found

Note that the invocation command line has no compiler name in it.  This
strikes me as the environment variables defined in the installed
templates (i.e., ~mcidas/etc/mcidas_env.(sh|csh)) not being sourced
before attempting the build.

My advice for building McIDAS is to:

- download the compressed tarball and the unpacking script
  'mcunpack' to the ~mcidas directory

- define the environment variable McINST_ROOT to be the HOME
  directory of the install (e.g., $HOME for 'mcidas')

- change the mod of 'mcunpack' to be executable by 'mcidas'

- run 'mcunpack'

- edit your shell-specific configuration file (e.g., .cshrc for C
  like shells, .bash_profile for BASH, etc.) and add the
  lines listed in:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/

    Documentation and Training
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/#documentation

      McIDAS user's guide
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

Go to the Chapter 1 section on setting up the 'mcidas' account:

Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html#63755

  Preparing the mcidas Account

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html#22841

Make sure to add the lines listed for your particular shell

- logoff and then log back on so that the admin/mcidas_env.(sh|csh) file
  has been sourced and its settings instantiated

- rebuild McIDAS

cd mcidas2009/src
make clobber
make