[McIDAS #AFF-910922]: Question about running McIDAS (X and XCD) in VMs

Hi Bryan,

re:
> I was wondering if anyone in the MUG has attempted running McIDAS X
> and/or XCD on virtual machines...specifically VMs running RHEL6 images.

Yes.  In fact, my McIDAS development environment is a CentOS 6.3 x86_64
virtual machine that is running in VMware Player on my Windows 7 laptop
(which is an Intel I7 (quad core, hyperthreaded) with 8 GB RAM and
ATI 5450 1 GB video).  The great thing about this setup is that I can switch
between CentOS 6.3 (which _is_ RHEL 6.3) and Windows 7 with a single mouse
click AND cut and paste back and forth between the OSes.  Also, I keep
my VM on an external USB hard drive so that I can easily bring it up
on other machines running VMware Player just by plugging it in.

Also, I can run LDM, GEMPAK and the IDV in my VM.  I don't typically
run the IDV since it runs better natively in Windows.

re:
> JSC is considering this configuration for our next equipment replacement
> cycle.

I recommend the setup I am using heartily!

Ticket ID: AFF-910922
Department: Support McIDAS