[McIDAS #UMA-282163]: PHP/McIDAS

Hi Paul,

re:
> I hope that June finds you all well!

Yes, I am doing well, thanks.  If you could conjure up some rain for Colorado,
I would be eternally grateful, however!

re:
> Hopefully a quick question. I am trying to generate a mcidas script on the
> fly via a php command from a web page.

The folks at UW/SSEC did something like this a few years ago as a proof of
concept for making a web interface to McIDAS.  As I recall, things worked
OK unless there were too many simultaneous requests.  I don't know if they
continue to support this interface or not... I can ask if you want.

re:
> NOW I want to click on a link and
> have the php script run the mcidas perl script that sets the environment
> and runs the mcidas commands.

This should be easily doable if everything is setup correctly.

re:
> I have the command working when ldm runs it.
>
> I suspect that the php runs a command but does not allow for any child
> processes to be run. Do you have any idea how to do this? Am I even making
> sense?

I don't believe that this should be the case.  The real-time stats plots
available on our web site are generated on the fly by GEMPAK routines
that get invoked by a script that runs when the user clicks on various
links.  Running McIDAS commands should be no different other than there
being a need to setup McIDAS environment variables so that the process
can create the shared memory segments that are needed/used by the McIDAS
commands.

Question:

- have you instrumented your scripts so that log messages are saved
  and reviewable?

Ticket ID: UMA-282163
Department: Support McIDAS