20120619: Change longitude where data from 2 geostationary satellites are merged together

Hi Dave,

This is a follow-up to the email that Don Murray sent you earlier today...

re:
> I am creating satellite images over the continental U.S. using
> a combination of GOES-15 (west) and GOES-13 (east) data. I want to
> be able to specify where the data sets are merged in the image (for
> instance, let's say I want to merge the GOES-East and GOES-West data
> along 105=BAW). Is there a way to do this? I'm using McIDAS Area Files
> from the CLASS database.

I use McIDAS-X to create GOES-East/West composites for all 5 imager bands
nominally each half hour (nominally because a is only created when new
scans from both GOES-East and GOES-West are available for the nominal
half hour).  I chose to not create a composite when the time difference
in East/West scan times is greater than about 15 minutes (which is the
nominal difference in scheduled East and West scan times).  This results
in some half hours not having any composite image even though there will
be a GOES-East or GOES-West scan (but not both).

The composites created are available via ADDE from adde.ucar.edu.
The pertinent info for the IDV for one type of composite is:

Server:     adde.ucar.edu
Dataset:    RTIMAGES
Image Type: GOES-East/West IR Composite
Image Size: 592 x 1000

I chose to do the merge is created with a central longitude of about 100 W
(there is actually an overlap region of about 5 degrees).

Are these the kinds of composites you are looking to create/have?  If yes,
you are free to use the ones that are available on adde.ucar.edu if you
would prefer to not generate your own.

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*