[McIDAS #RDR-211897]: Mcidas build on Fedora 16

Hi Bill,

Long time no hear!  I hope you are doing well...

re:
> This is a pretty low priority for all of us...but I (finally) got Fedora
> 16 installed on a portable machine (for no particular reason) and tried
> to build mcidas.  Fail.  Here's the last few lines of the makelog:
>
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/jpeg'
> make  /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/jpeg:   done
> ./configure --prefix=/home/mcidas
> --with-jpeg=/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/../jpeg,/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/../jpeg
>
> --with-zlib=/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/../zlib,/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/../zlib
>  --disable-fortran
> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /usr/bin/cpp
> configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/usr/bin/cpp" fails sanity check
> See `config.log' for more details.
> configure     /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf:    FAILED

OK, this is an easy one: you need to install the C++ package to get
a viable /usr/bin/cpp.  Here is how this is done:

<as 'root'>
yum install gcc-c++

re:
> And the last few lines of config.log in ../hdf
>
> EGREP=''
> EXEEXT=''
> F77='g77'
> FFLAGS='-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide
> -Wsign-compare'
> HDF_BUILD_FORTRAN_FALSE=''
> HDF_BUILD_FORTRAN_TRUE='#'
> HDF_BUILD_XDR_FALSE=''
> HDF_BUILD_XDR_TRUE='#'
> INSTALL_DATA='${INSTALL} -m 644'
> INSTALL_PROGRAM='${INSTALL}'
> INSTALL_SCRIPT='${INSTALL}'
> INSTALL_STRIP_PROGRAM='${SHELL} $(install_sh) -c -s'
> LDFLAGS='-lm -L/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/../zlib
> -L/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/../jpeg'
> LEX='${SHELL} /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/bin/missing --run flex'
> LEXLIB=''
> LEX_OUTPUT_ROOT=''
> LIBOBJS=''
> LIBS='-ljpeg -lz '
> LN_S='ln -s'
> LTLIBOBJS=''
> MAINT='#'
> MAINTAINER_MODE_FALSE=''
> MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE='#'
> MAKEINFO='${SHELL} /home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/bin/missing --run makeinfo'
> NEQN='neqn'
> OBJEXT='o'
> PACKAGE='HDF'
> PACKAGE_BUGREPORT='address@hidden'
> PACKAGE_NAME='HDF'
> PACKAGE_STRING='HDF 4.2r0'
> PACKAGE_TARNAME='hdf'
> PACKAGE_VERSION='4.2r0'
> PATH_SEPARATOR=':'
> RANLIB='ranlib'
> SET_MAKE=''
> SHELL='/bin/sh'
> STRIP=''
> TBL='tbl'
> VERSION='4.2r0'
> YACC='yacc'
> ac_ct_CC='gcc'
> ac_ct_CXX=''
> ac_ct_F77=''
> ac_ct_RANLIB='ranlib'
> ac_ct_STRIP=''
> am__fastdepCC_FALSE='#'
> am__fastdepCC_TRUE=''
> am__fastdepCXX_FALSE=''
> am__fastdepCXX_TRUE='#'
> am__include='include'
> am__leading_dot='.'
> am__quote=''
> bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
> build='i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
> build_alias=''
> build_cpu='i686'
> build_os='linux-gnu'
> build_vendor='redhat'
> datadir='${prefix}/share'
> exec_prefix='NONE'
> host='i686-redhat-linux-gnu'
> host_alias=''
> host_cpu='i686'
> host_os='linux-gnu'
> host_vendor='redhat'
> includedir='${prefix}/include'
> infodir='${prefix}/info'
> install_sh='/home/mcidas/mcidas2009/hdf/bin/install-sh'
> [...]

All bets are off after the original failure.  After installing C++
(using 'yum install gcc-c++' as 'root'), I would restart the McIDAS-X
build:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
make clobber
make

re:
> Lots of fail stuff in the hdf configure file, but I figured that's
> probably on purpose--break to analyze.

Again, all bets are off after the original error.

re:
> I found a couple of emails on support about Gempak and Fedora 16 I think.
> But nothing dispositive.
>
> Like I said, nothing big here..considering the way things are going,
> I may just nuke this thing and install Windows 7.

One suggestion:

I am now recommending that users move away from the Fedora track and
onto CentOS.  I am now running CentOS 6.2 x86_64 as a VMware virtual
machine on my Windows 7 laptop (I7, 8 GB RAM), and I love it.  CentOS
is the free bundle of RedHat Enterprise, so you can expect good
security support and lots less updates than Fedora.  The the thing
that really put me off of Fedora is Gnome 3... this does not work
in my VMware Player virtual machine as VMware Player does not provide
good access to the video card.  VMware Workstation would provide this
access, but it costs $199, so I balked.

re:
> But I do like the ability to make maps on the fly and get good data in
> a hurry.  So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is the list of packages I needed to install on Fedora 14 and CentOS
to get McIDAS working:

Fedora 14 (VMware virtual machine):
Development
--------------------------------------
gcc
gcc-gfortran
gcc-c++
byacc
flex
ncurses
ncurses-devel
libX11-devel
libXt-devel
libXext-devel

kernel-devel
kernel-headers

Fonts
--------------------------------------
xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

CentOS 6.2:
Development
--------------------------------------
gcc-gfortran
gcc-c++
byacc
flex
ncurses-devel
libXt-devel
libXext-devel

Fonts
--------------------------------------
xorg-x11-fonts-misc     <- for mctext
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi   <- for McGUI
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi    <- for McGUI

The differences in the packages that were needed to be installed
were due to the differences in how the virtual machine was created.

re:
> Thanks for your help.

No worries.

Ticket ID: RDR-211897