[McIDAS #IWJ-443798]: MCIDAS Software Upgrade at NGC

Hi Randy,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you (so you could investigate before the
weekend).  We were finishing off configuring a server machine we are sending
to New Orleans for the AMS meeting.

re:
> We installed the latest unidata mcidas on our noaapxcd (receives data from
> the upstream
> box noaapnew->sat receiver) box a few days ago and I just realized we are no
> longer
> decoding nexrad data. The time of the switch over to the new mcidas to the
> time we stopped
> decoding are the same.
>
> It's been a few years since we last updated mcidas. Is there something we
> need to do.

There should be no changes in Unidata McIDAS that alter how NEXRAD Level III
data is
processed (i.e., I made no changes).

re:
> I notice a ps -ef |grep DM reveals that DMNEXR is running.

I seem to remember that someone there (perhaps Martha) adopted the approach we
use to
"process" NEXRAD Level III data -- we FILE the images directly in an LDN
action; we
do not use the DMNEXR approach that SSEC created.

I would suggest that your troubleshooting should include the following:

- turn off DMNEXR processing (if you actually are using the FILE approach
  that we suggest)

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd $MCDATA
  decinfo.k SET DMNEXR INACTIVE

- verify that you have the FILEing setup in an LDM pattern-action file

  The action we suggest is:

# All NEXRAD Level III products
NNEXRAD ^SDUS[23578]. .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])([0-6][0-9]).*/p(...)(...)
        FILE    -close
        data/mcidas/images/NIDS/\5/\4/\4_(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1_\2\3

  Of course, you will likely need to change the directory where Level III
  images are to be written to match your setup.

  Also, you need to make sure that your ADDE dataset definition for the RTNEXRAD
  dataset (if that is what you are calling it) "points" to the directory
structure(s)
  that are used in your LDM action.

  And, of course, your LDM needs to actually be running a 'pqact' instance that
  processes the NEXRAD3 (aka NNEXRAD) data.

Ticket ID: IWJ-443798
Department: Support McIDAS