[McIDAS #NJA-425146]: Interesting in McIDAS X Free

Hi Boris,

re:
> Again bother you. I will comment briefly what I do in my research project. One
> of the many products I need to get is a product like the attachment
> (cloud.gif),
> well this gives me an idea of ??how this vertical profile of clouds until at
> least
> 4 km. To achieve this, research that I need data from the GOES Sounder,
> especially
> the channels 3 (CO2, temperature in the upper troposphere), 4 (CO2,
> temperature in
> the middle troposphere), 5 (CO2, temperature in the lower troposphere) y 8
> (atmospheric window, the temperature of cloud tops and surface). Wherefore I
> gave myself the task of requesting data to UNIDATA SUPPORT, specifically for
> the
> region of Mexico (GOES 12 and 10).

OK, thanks for the information. I have a better understanding of what you are
trying to accomplish now.

re:
> They told me I could access that data through MCIDASX.

I assume that "They" means the folks at the SSEC Data Center...

re:
> Then they activated my IP
> to access at data of the GOES-EAST by April 2004. So, I followed a series of
> instructions to view the content of atmospheric sounder data of the GOES 12:
>
> 1     DATALOC ADD OGOES12 128.104.109.75
> Group Name                       Server IP Address
> ------------                     ---------------------
> OGOES12                           128.104.109.75
> <LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data
> directory
> DATALOC -- done
>
> 2     DSINFO IMAGE OGOES12
> Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: OGOES12
>

> Name              NumPos            Content
> ------------      ----------        ----------------------------------------
> ALL               2500              ALL GOES12
> CONUS             2500              GOES12 Continental U.S
> FD                2500              GOES12 FD
> NH                2500              GOES12 Northern Hemisphere
> OTHER             2500              GOES12 Other
> SH                2500              GOES12 Southern Hemisphere
> SNDR              2500              GOES12 Sounder
>
> DSINFO -- done
>
> 3    IMGLIST OGOES12/SNDR.ALL DAY=2004094
> Image  file directory listing for:OGOES12/SNDR
>
> POS     Satelite/       Date          Time          Center             Band
> (s)
>
> sensor                                    Lat    Lon
> ----   -----------     -------      ---------    -----  ----
> -----------
> 5         G-12 SND     3 APR 04094  02:46:00     35      87             1-19
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 41
>
> IMGLIST: done

OK, looks good so far.

re:
> I want to do is copy OGOES12 group data to my computer. To do this, I did the
> following:
>
> 4    DSSERVE ADD STORM/SOUNDER AREA 1 9999 " Sounder in my storm directory
> Group/Descriptor            Type      Format &  Range          RT    Comment
> --------------------------  --------  -----------------------  ----
> --------------
> STORM/SOUNDER                IMAGE   AREA       1-9999               SOUNDER
> IN MY STORM DIRECTORY

One thing you have to be aware of is that by defining a dataset to include
all images in AREA format, you run the risk of accessing/overwriting a file that
already exists.  The Unidata McIDAS distribution comes with several files in
the 9000 block of AREA file numbers.  Here is a listing that shows this:

% dmap.k AREA9
PERM      SIZE LAST CHANGED FILENAME DIRECTORY
---- --------- ------------ -------- ---------
-rw-   9341360 Apr 01  2003 AREA9000 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-   1503728 Apr 01  2003 AREA9010 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-   1503728 Apr 01  2003 AREA9011 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-   1543904 Apr 01  2003 AREA9012 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-   1003728 Apr 01  2003 AREA9013 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-   1003728 Apr 01  2003 AREA9014 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-    897680 Apr 01  2003 AREA9015 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-    608288 Apr 01  2003 AREA9016 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-    565512 Apr 01  2003 AREA9017 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-    311008 Apr 01  2003 AREA9018 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-    714288 Apr 01  2003 AREA9019 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-       768 Nov 25  1996 AREA9982 /home/mcidas/data
-rw-      2816 Jun 02  1998 AREA9995 /home/mcidas/data

27574856 bytes in 26 files

You do not want to overwrite these files.

re:
> 5    IMGCOPY OGOES12/SNDR STORM/SOUNDER DAY=2004094 BAND=ALL
> Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 2420400
> Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 11686608
> IMGCOPY: OGOES12/SNDR.41 copied to STORM/SOUNDER.9996
> IMGCOPY: done

Here, you should be very specific of the dataset position of the
file being created so you do not overwrite an existing file.  I
suggest the following invocation:

IMGCOPY OGOES12/SNDR STORM/SOUNDER.3000 BAND=ALL

This will create the file AREA3000 in the first writable directory
contained in set of directories represented by the environment
variable MCPATH.

re:
> My question is: what directory on my computer are copied the data pertaining
> the new group STORM/SOUNDER?,

Since your IMGCOPY invocation said that you wrote to STORM/SOUNDER.9996,
the file AREA9996 should have been created, AND it should have been
created in the first writable directory in your MCPATH.  You can
check this by running:

DMAP AREA9996

re:
> Because I checked the directory /home/mcidas/data/
> and /home/mcidas/workdata/ and these were not created here, much less in the
> directory where I'm running McIDAS X /home/boris/mcidas/data/.

What is the value of MCPATH?  Get this by running the following from the
Unix/Linux command prompt:

echo $MCPATH

Since you indicated that you are running from your own login, your MCPATH
should look like:

/home/boris/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

If your MCPATH is different from this, your account has not been correctly
setup to use Unidata McIDAS.

re:
> I understand that the data had been copied in any such directory above
> mentioned
> or at least that I have misconfigured some part of mcidas or boris account and
> I have not noticed this.

Check the definition of MCPATH first.

re:
> The above mentioned product, I'll do with McIDAS V. My question is: how I can
> access
> the data copied into the STORM/SOUNDER from McIDAS V program?

Once an output file has been created by IMGCOPY, you should be able to diectly
access
it from McIDAS-V if McIDAS-V is running on the same machine.  In this case,
you could use:

Data Explorer -> Data Sources -> General -> Files/Directories

You can also have McIDAS-V setup an ADDE dataset from the file(s) you have
created with IMGCOPYs.

If you are running McIDAS-V on a different machine, you should consider
setting up the remote ADDE server on the machine on which you are running
McIDAS-X.  I can help you do this.

re:
> or data belonging to
> the groupOGOES12/SNDR can be displayed and manipulated directly from McIDAS V?

It could, but it is likely that you will want to access the image multiple
times,
and repeated access may force the SSEC Data Center folks to charge you for
the access.  I think it is better to copy the images you want from the server
to your local machine once, and then access them as many times as you like.

re:
> Many apologies for inconvenience, but unfortunately in Mexico, and
> particularly
> at the university, no one handles this type of program and as you'll notice,
> I had
> to learn this on an individual basis, so I consulted repeatedly to you.

No worries.  One of my jobs is to help users learn how to make use of the tools
we provide :-)

If you continue to have problems, I would be happy to logon your machine and
setup things so you can be productive.

Ticket ID: NJA-425146
Department: Support McIDAS