[McIDAS #DXH-400982]: AREA max number limitation

Hi Mary Ellen,

re: long time no hear!
> Yes, it's been a while hasn't it! Always glad to be back though :)

Were you somewhere else?  Just curious...

re:
> I appreciate your thoughts on our issue. Based on your email and how our code
> is written using symbolic links won't solve our problem.

I am surprised by this comment.  I would think that your code tries to open
a file by name (e.g., AREA001) or by AREA number (e.g., 1234).  McIDAS
would then try to open the file with the appropriate name, and the OS
will insure that the link will be followed to the "real" file.

re:
> I think the idea of
> using "newer interfaces" may be the way to go. Another thought is perhaps we
> could modify our araopt() and redara().

Yes, you create custom versions of araopt() and redara()... the downside is
that you would need to institute the change with each new version of McIDAS
you install.

re:
> Can you comment on how low-level those routines are?

Given how these routines are called, it might be tricky to replace
them with custom ones.

re:
> I'm wondering how much of an impact on other ADDE programs there
> would be.

This would be difficult to say without a bit of research.  Perhaps
if you outlined what your routines are doing (or send code), I might
be better able to make some sort of authoritative comments.

re:
> Thanks again!

No worries.

Ticket ID: DXH-400982