[McIDAS #MWQ-801749]: McIDAS-X 2009 and Solaris 11 Express

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the incredibly long delay on getting back to your problem on a MCGUI
race condition upon startup:

> I have confirmed that McIDAS-X 2009 build with either gcc or Sun Studio
> results
> in a race condition with McGUI where the GUI keeps loading and nearly locks up
> the X-display.

Since you reported that the SSEC GUI does not exhibit the continual resizing
that
"nearly locks up the X-display", I would like you to try the following change:

-- edit the copy of upcguiprocs.tcl that is installed in the ~mcidas/bin
directory
   change the following code sequence in the 'reparentXwin' procedure (approx.
line
   14008)

   Change:

    # Wait until the window exists.  Total wait time is <= 30 seconds.
    set i 0
    while { $i < 30000 } {
        set windowid [ucPeek $ucloc]
        if $windowid {
            raise .
            update
            break
        }
        incr i
        after 100
    }

    # Wait until the window exists.  Total wait time is 30 seconds.
    set i 0
    while { $i < 30000 } {
        set windowid [ucPeek $ucloc]
        if $windowid {
            after 100
            raise .
            update idletasks
            break
        }
        incr i
        after 100
    }

re: SSEC GUI
> The SSEC GUI starts fine if I remove ADDESITE.TXT and MCTABLE.TXT.
>
> With the files there it starts the initial GUI process (Creating the GUI) then
> that goes away after clicking Continue on the Project Login button, the ADDE
> server Pop-up hangs after just a few seconds.
>
> After exiting McIDAS this is what I see when I go to do a kill -9:
>
> weather 10434     1   0 14:35:06 pts/4       0:00 mcserv -R
> weather 10384     1   0 14:34:32 pts/4       0:01 /usr/mcidas/bin/mcwish -f
> /usr/mcidas/lib/gui/GUIMain.gui
>
> Now when I start GUI it starts, but when I go in to rebuild the ADDE lists
> (DATALOC confirms ADDESITE and MCTABLE have bene restored correctly) once
> again
> the ADDE pop-up hangs after a few seconds.

Let's hold off on worrying about the SSEC GUI until we get the MCGUI startup
working
correctly under your version of Solaris.

Comment:

- the continual resizing is most likely timing-related.  If the slight
alteration
  I suggest above does not work, please make the following additional change in
  procedure 'reparentXwin':

  Change:

    # Reparent the McIDAS Xwindow
    xwindow $win $windowid
    grid configure $win -sticky "news"

    # Reparent the McIDAS Xwindow
    after 1000
    xwindow $win $windowid
    grid configure $win -sticky "news"

Comparing the startup logic in the SSEC GUI and my MCGUI shows that the
biggest difference is the SSEC GUI's waiting for 2 full seconds before trying
to reparent the 'mcimage' window by Tk.  My initial stab at the problem is
to wait for 0.1 seconds.  If that doesn't work for you, the next suggestion
is to wait for 1 second.

Ticket ID: MWQ-801749
Department: Support McIDAS