[McIDAS #YXC-958418]: Satellite times

Hi Paul,

re:
> I hope you can answer this. When do the satellite area files come out? Are
> they fairly consistent?

Since you refer to AREA files, I assume that you mean the images in the
Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) datastream.  The
cron schedule for creation of these images is:

GOES-East:

IR   - H+23,53
WV   - H+24 54
VIS  - H+25,55
3.9  - H+26,56
13.3 - H+27,57

GOES-West:

IR   - H+8,38
WV   - H+9,39
VIS  - H+10,40
3.9  - H+11,41
12.0 - H+12,42

Again, these are the times after the hour when the job that creates
the sectors for the Unidata-Wisconsin channel are run.  When the jobs
will finish running depends on how loaded the machine is at any
particular time.

re:
> I really do not need the exact time but whether or
> not they are consistent in the order of arrival.

There is no guarantee that the products will always come out in the
same order, but they usually do.

re:
> Also, is visible always
> sent first, then IR then WV?

No.  As you can see from the cron scheduling listed above, the IR
is most likely to come out first, and the long wave IRs (e.g., 12 um
for GOES-West and 13.3 um for GOES-East) are most likely to come
out last.

re:
> I want to trigger some scripts when the last
> of the satellite has arrived.

The machine currently producing the Unidata-Wisconsin images is
an old, slow Sun SPARC box, so the creation of the images is slower
than it should/could be.  This machine will be replaced in the not
too distant future with a motherlode-class machine, so the amount
of time it takes to create the images will decrease sharply.

If I were you, I would run a 'notifyme' for the UNIWISC datastream
to your local LDM and let run for a day while writing output to
a log file:

<as 'ldm'>
notifyme -vl /home/ldm/logs/uniwisc.log -f UNIWISC

After a reasonable amount of time, stop the 'notifyme' and look
at the distribution of times that the various products were received.
I would take the time for the last type of image you are interested
in and add several (e.g., 5 or so) minutes to it and use that time
to kick off your script(s).  The other approach is to setup an
LDM pattern-action file action that will kick off your script after
receipt of the last kind of image you are interested in.

Ticket ID: YXC-958418
Department: Support McIDAS