[McIDAS #KKG-192015]: McIDAS-V

Hi Bernie,

re:
> Thanks for the clarification. Do I actually have to display the
> images? I have had heap space memory issues when trying to display
> full GOES and Meteosat images using McIDAS-V in the past. If this is a
> problem can I bypass the display and just ingest the image and output
> the netCDF files?

Quite frankly, I don't know for sure, but I suspect that you may have
to display the image.  You do realize that you can display either a
subset of an image or a decimation of an image.  The good news is that
if you get the image from a McIDAS ADDE server, then a decimation will
be a sampling of the image -- each pixel in the sample will be a pixel
from the original image (i.e., it is not an average or something like
that).  I assume that an image loaded from a disk file will be the
same as one coming from an ADDE server, but I am not 100% sure about
this as I did not write the code.

I am curious about what the ultimate objective is.  Are you doing
data processing in IDL, or are you just looking at the image displays?

Also (in the category of random comments), at one time there was some
java code that one could use in/with IDL to read imagery from an
ADDE server.  I never used it so I am no expert on if it still
exists, where to get it, or how to use it, etc (e.g., if it
needed the images to be in a set projection).  Perhaps Liam Gumley
has made some sort of comment about this capability?

Ticket ID: KKG-192015
Department: Support McIDAS