[McIDAS #RJO-596744]: installing mcidas

Hi Sepide,

re:
> I tried to install mcidas, i built the accounts and made McINST_ROOT , but i
> got this error :
>
> configure      /home/mcidas/Desktop/mcidas2009/mcidas2009/hdf: FAILED
> (see  '/home/mcidas/Desktop/mcidas2009/mcidas2009/hdf/../src/makelog'
> for details.)
>
> make: *** [../hdf/config.status] Error1
>
> I also tried to check the file, but i couldn't figure out what is wrong.
> Would you please help me with that?

Thanks for including makelog; it gives me enough information to let me know
what is failing... The operative part of the makelog output is:

checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /usr/bin/cpp
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/usr/bin/cpp" fails sanity check

What this is really complaining about is the lack of an installed
C++ (g++) compiler (even though there is no C++ code in McIDAS).  What
you need to do is install the GNU C++ compiler and restart make.

I just did a quick Google search for how to install g++ under Ubuntu
and saw this advice:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread41243.html

The 'apt-get' procedure installs packages in Ubuntu, and apparently
the 'build-essential' action will install g++.  The command listed
in the URL above is:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Also, there is another change you will likely need to make for building
McIDAS under Ubuntu:

- edit ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src/tclcomp

  change:

  #!/bin/sh

  to:

  #!/bin/bash

- restart the build:

  make

My email to another user about this change can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg04312.html

Ticket ID: RJO-596744
Department: Support McIDAS