[McIDAS #HIF-234168]: Solaris 10 and McIDAS-X update

Hi again Robert,

Well, now I am scratching my head:

I just (re)built the latest release of Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD
under Solaris x86 with no problems (i.e., I do not run into
the problem you are seeing on your system).  Before releasing
the latest Unidata McIDAS release, v2009f, I tested builds
on a Solaris x86 system here in our offices and on atm.cise-nsf.gov.

Question:

- how are you setting environment variables that are used for
  Unidata McIDAS?

My _strong_ suggestion is to follow the formalism specified
in the Unidata McIDAS Users Guide:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Unidata McIDAS
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas

    Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/toc.html

      Chapter 1 - Installing and Configuring McIDAS-X

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingandConfiguringMcIDAS-X.html#17470

         Installing McIDAS-X on Unix or Mac OS X Workstations

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonUnixorMacOSXWorkstations.html#63755

           Preparing the mcidas Account

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html#22841

The setup I am referring to is in the last page referenced above:

define a series of McIDAS environment variables and others needed to build
packages included with the McIDAS

For instance:

non-Conforming shells (e.g., .cshrc)

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR non-conforming shell defines
# needed to build McIDAS
setenv McINST_ROOT $HOME
setenv VENDOR -vendor

# NOTE: uncomment the line that sets MySQL_ROOT if you want to
#       build with MySQL support:
#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
#         location
#       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
#         installation if MySQL is not installed in a standard
#         location
# setenv MySQL_ROOT TRUE

if ( -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh ) then
  source $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh
endif

This is how my Solaris x86 development and production environments
are setup, and McIDAS-X/-XCD builds fine 32-bit executables.

NB: We want 32-bit executables when building XCD because there is a
GRIB2 decoding bug in XCD that I have not been able to resolve that
only shows itself when XCD decoding (data monitor) runs in 64-bit mode
under Solaris x86. The same code runs fine under different 64-bit
architectures (e.g., variety of flavors of Linux, IRIX, HP-UX).

My tentative conclusion at this point is there is some environment
definition in your setup that is causing the netCDF to be built
in 64-bit mode when the rest of the distribution is built in 32-bit
mode.

Please send me the output of 'uname -a' and 'env' from the 'mcidas'
account on the machine you ran into problems building Unidata
McIDAS on.

Thanks in advance...

Ticket ID: HIF-234168
Department: Support McIDAS