[McIDAS #WBP-764757]: I have questions. You have answers!

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> >> But is this the "2010" commercial version?
> >
> > Commercial version????
>
> Clarification: is it the same version they are using, that just came out
> last month, with UNIDATA enhancements?

Yes.  Unidata McIDAS v2009e is the same as the SSEC v2010.1 with all Unidata
modifications/additions/bug fixes.  SSEC put McIDAS-X into maintenance mode
when they started working in earnest on McIDAS-V (which is the IDV with
SSEC enhancements).  I expected them to freeze the version number at v2008,
but they chose to increment the version number to match the year.  For me
this was a bit of a problem since all of the documentation needed to be
updated to reflect the new version number, etc.  To me, this was make-work
meaning that it was something that did nothing for the users.  I decided,
therefore, to leave the Unidata McIDAS-X version at v2009 and keep incrementing
the minor updates indicator (e.g., v2009e).  This should make it easier
for sites to upgrade my distribution since they only have to get the update
tar file, mcupdate.tar.gz; drop it in the ~mcidas/mcidas2009/update directory;
run the unpacker, mcupdate; and then run make in the ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
directory.

I imagine that what your former student was excited about was the SSEC GUI
since it looked new.  The SSEC GUI has been part of the Unidata release all
along, and users were free to use it instead of my MCGUI.

re: upgrading to the current release
> With the exception of weather.admin.niu.edu, I should be good.

Very good.

> > Please review:
> >
> > Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD Release Announcement
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/release.html

> OK. I'll see if I can get to it later this week; I was going to try it
> now, but storms are developing and moving in.

For v2009x users there should be no rush to upgrade as the mods made
to create v2009e were small.  Users of previous releases should upgrade
when they have time so that their software is fully bugfixed.

Ticket ID: WBP-764757
Department: Support McIDAS