[McIDAS #AZL-764854]: FAQ: MCIDAS-X

Hi Paul,

re:
> I recently signed up on unidata.ucar.  I would like to know if McIDAS-X
> is now free for educational research

Unidata McIDAS-X/-XCD has always been free for education and research. Users
with an '.edu' email address should be able to get ready access to the
distribution as soon as they are registered with our website.

To register with our web site, go to our HomePage:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

and click on the 'Login' link near the top of the page.  Follow the instructions
for users not previously registered with the site.  As soon as the registration
process is finished, you should be able to login to our website and download
Unidata McIDAS-X.

NB: if you register with an email address that is not associated with your
institution, we will need to verify that your use of Unidata McIDAS-X fits
the guidelines imposed on us by UW/SSEC for McIDAS use.

re:
> and if MCIDAS-V is no longer used.

McIDAS-V is the next generation of McIDAS that is being developed on top of
the IDV framework that we developed (which is based on a variety of open
source packages premier of which is VisAD).  So, McIDAS-V is definitely
still being used.

If you meant to ask if McIDAS-X is still being used, it is.  If you were
meaning to ask if Unidata distributes McIDAS-V, we don't, at least not
yet.  We do, however, offer the IDV, and give that the current beta of
McIDAS-V is about 95% the IDV, you could most likely do anything you
would like to do in McIDAS-V in the IDV.

Ticket ID: AZL-764854
Department: Support McIDAS