[McIDAS #ZDY-398309]: Help!

Hi Tom,

re:
> Does your response mean all is fixed because I still can't download
> the software from that link.

No, the email you got was an automated response by our inquiry tracking
system acknowledging receipt of your email.

The reason for being denied access to Unidata McIDAS is that
all attempts by users whose emails do not end in '.edu' (i.e., non-U.S.
educational institutions) must be approved first.

The following is some boilerplate that I am required to send to
non-.edu folks who seek to download McIDAS from us. In order for
you to be granted access to Unidata McDAS, we need you to send back
a statement affirming the items listed below.

Unidata has long been licensed by the Space Science and Engineering Center
(SSEC) of the University of Wisconsin at Madison to distribute our version
of McIDAS, Unidata McIDAS, to educational institutions.  In the recent past,
SSEC refined their definition of allowable use of McIDAS at institutions
outside of the U.S. and for individuals.  Users from non-U.S. educational
sites are typically recognized by their email addresses not ending in '.edu'.

I am required to have prospective McIDAS users read and agree to the following:

  SSEC considers permissible users of the international university community
  to be those who are using McIDAS-X for academic classroom instruction or
  academic research by students related to obtaining a degree. Research
institutes
  and government agencies that use McIDAS-X for meteorological research or
  operations must purchase a license from SSEC for the non-academic use. Given
  this clarification, and if Unidata users remain within the licensing terms
  that include no re-distribution of any portion of the software, SSEC is
agreeable
  to providing this software to the international university Unidata user
community.

Given the above position, we need a clear statement from you that specifies
_all_ of the following:

- you are accessing McIDAS from Unidata for use in a university; please provide
  the name of the department and university that the download is intended for
- McIDAS must be used for academic classroom instruction or academic research
  by students related to obtaining a degree
- your installation of McIDAS is not for use by a government agency,
non-academic
  research institute, or private concern
- you agree that you will not re-distribute any portion of the software

As soon as you state that your use of Unidata McIDAS will conform to the
terms listed above, we will add the email address:

address@hidden

to the list that allows downloading of Unidata McIDAS.  If you do represent
a university/institution of higher education, it would be most helpful
if you would use your university email address.

We can only add your email address to the list of users allowed
to download McIDAS if you are registered with the Unidata website
under that address. If you are not yet registered with our site,
please do so before sending back the reply to this message.

Ticket ID: ZDY-398309
Department: Support McIDAS