[McIDAS #SSN-755786]: Meteosat question

Hi Bernie,

re:
> I have a large number of Meteosat FG and SG images (and also GMS/MTSAT
> images) in AREA format that I received from Eumetsat and the
> Australiam BoM respectively.  Is there a stand along software routine
> outside McIDAS that will read and navigate these images.

I am sure that there are several as the McIDAS AREA format is supported
by a number of packages (e.g., GEMPAK, IDV to name two available from
Unidata).

re:
> I have IDL
> mcidas_read and mcidas_nav procedures to read and navigate GOES AREA
> files written by Ken Knapp and I was wondering if you knew of the
> existence of similar routines for reading Metosat and GMS/MTSAT images?

I don't specifically know of such routines, but I would imagine that Liam
Gumley (SSEC/CIMSS), a noted IDL guru, would have or know of IDL routines
that you need. It is possible that SSEC can get the routines for you (from
Liam or others), or you could contact Liam directly (look up his email
address from the contacts link in SSEC's website: www.ssec.wisc.edu.

Questions:

- are you still a member in good standing in the MUG?

  If yes, you can ask the SSEC support desk to help you locate the
  routines:

  address@hidden

- are you looking to use IDL exclusively?

  If not, have you looked at our IDV package?  The IDV is a framework
  with reference application written entirely in Java.  Also, SSEC
  is basing their new version of McIDAS, McIDAS-V on the IDV framework
  (currently McIDAS-V is 99% IDV), and it is freely available like
  the IDV.

Ticket ID: SSN-755786
Department: Support McIDAS