[McIDAS #JRK-547142]: install mcidas2009 in a SUN Solaris10x86_64 machine

Hi Hsie,

> My MCHOME & McINST_ROOT is always /home/mcidas/solaris.
> /home/mcidas/solaris is a soft link to the running version of the
> mcidas200x.
> Before I build, I change the soft link from solaris2007 to solaris2009.

Here is where I ran into something that I did not understand:  on stratus,
the soft link was still pointing at solaris2007 when I logged on to
check out the aborted build of v2009. This is the structure I saw when I
logged on this morning:

stratus:[54]% ls -alt
total 165
-rw-------   1 mcidas   unidata      966 Sep 22 11:53 .history
-rwxr-xr-x   1 mcidas   unidata     2899 Sep 22 11:49 .cshrc
-rw-rw-r--   1 mcidas   unidata      389 Sep 22 10:08 cshrc.solarisx86_64
drwxrwxr-x  21 mcidas   unidata     1024 Sep 22 09:50 .
lrwxrwxrwx   1 mcidas   unidata       11 Sep 22 09:50 solaris -> solaris2007
drwxr-xr-x  18 mcidas   unidata      512 Sep 22 09:38 mcidas2009
drwxrwxr-x   2 mcidas   unidata      512 Sep 22 09:37 admin
-rw-rw-r--   1 mcidas   unidata     1601 Sep 22 09:31 README
drwxrwxr-x  13 mcidas   unidata      512 Sep 22 09:27 solaris2009

If the link had been pointing to solaris2009, I wouldn't have asked the
question about how you go about your builds.

> Then I do
>
> % make rootdirs
> % make all
> % install all

Very good.  This is consistent and should work with one exception:
When the link is first changed and the build is proceeding, anything (e.g.,
script; reference by the LDM to an XCD datamonitor; etc.) that tries to
find an executable through the softlink will fail since the new code
has not yet been installed.

> I had been using this setup for several years.  I always have trouble to
> build new version of McIDAS.  This way, I can fall back easily.

OK, I am not trying to convince you to change something that works for
you/that you understand completely.  I was just trying to understand what
I was seeing.

Just so you know:  I use an approach that is very similar to yours
except mine is more similar to that for the LDM:

- when I am intent on upgrading to a new version of McIDAS, I first
  change the definition of McINST_ROOT to point at a new installation
  tree top level node.

  cd /home/mcidas
  mkdir mcidas09
  setenv McINST_ROOT /home/mcidas/mcidas09

  My approach is to use the following naming scheme for
  the installation target for new distributions:

  mcidas07 <-> mcidas2007
  mcidas08 <-> mcidas2008
  mcidas09 <-> mcidas2009

- a runtime link in the HOME directory of McIDAS points at the
  distribution to use:

  /home/mcidas/runtime -> /home/mcidas/mcidas08

  and:

  /home/mcidas/bin     -> /home/mcidas/runtime/bin
  /home/mcidas/data    -> /home/mcidas/runtime/data
  etc.

- I build the new distribution with the new McINST_ROOT definition
  in scope while the runtime link still points at the old distribution
  being used using the same steps as you.  For instance, for v2009
  I have:

  /home/mcidas/runtime -> /home/mcidas/mcidas08

  McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas/mcidas09

  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2009/src
  make rootdirs
  make all
  make install.all

- when the build is completely successful, I shut down the LDM;
  change one runtime link; and then restart the LDM.  Here is
  the McIDAS piece:

  cd ~mcidas
  rm runtime && ln -s mcidas09 runtime

The effect will be essentially the same except that my currently
used distribution will keep working until I change the runtime
link.

Anyway, the steps that I was going to advise/remind you that need
to be done after switching to the new v2009 distribution are:

- rerun XCD.BAT:

  cd $MCDATA
  batch.k XCD.BAT

  This updates the schema for the METAR data with the new one
  contained in v2009

- turn on DMBIN processing (if needed)

  decinfo.k SET DMBIN ACTIVE

- run/rerun the ADDE setup for DMBIN processed model data:

  batch.k GRIBADDE.BAT

Since McIDAS v2009 is not a big upgrade from v2008, there is not
a lot more that one needs to do to upgrade from v2008 to v2009.
I will have to review the release notes for v2008 to refresh my
memory on what steps needed to be done when upgrading from v2007
to v2008.

Ticket ID: JRK-547142
Department: Support McIDAS