[McIDAS #TSY-435654]: IDV/ADDE Questions

Hi Adam,

re:
> On my IDV (just installed yesterday)...the following datasets are available
> on tornado:
>
> CIMSS
> TOPO
> RTIMAGES
> RTPTSRC

The datasets available to me via my IDV installations at home and here at the
UPC from tornado.geos.ulm.edu are:

CIMSS
GINICOMP
GINIEAST
GINIWEST
NEXRCOMP
RTIMAGES
RTNEXRAD
TOPO
RTPTSRC
RTWXTEXT - using tornado.geos.ulm.edu requires an edit of the IDV startup script

> If I move it to adde.ucar.edu I have:

> RTIMAGES
> BLIZZARD
> CIMSS
> GINICOMP
> GINIEAST
> GINIWEST
> NEXRCOMP
> NEXRCALL
> RTNEXRAD
> NEXRALL
> GINIALL
> IDVRAD1
> IDVIMG1
> A bunch of CCSXXX ones
> TOPO

Yes.  The following datasets are found on adde.ucar.edu in addition
to the standard ones:

BLIZZARD
NEXRCALL
NEXRALL
GINIALL
IDVRAD1
IDVIMG1
A bunch of CCSXXX ones

You could install the McIDAS training dataset on tornado; it would
give you the BLIZZARD dataset.

> Since you said you can access the following in mcidas remotely:
>
> CIMSS
> GINICOMP
> GINIEAST
> GINIWEST
> GOESEAST
> NEXRCOMP
> RTIMAGES
> RTNEXRAD
> RTPTSRC
> RTWXTEXT
> TOPO

Quick comment: I should _not_ have included GOESEAST as this dataset
is only available from unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.

> I guess my question now is why doesn't my IDV see them if they are
> available.....

This is a puzzler.  I _AM_ able to see these datasets (sans GOESEAST)
in the IDV installations on my UPC workstation and my home machine.

> If you need mcidas account access to check something just let me know.

I think everything is working nicely.  At least, I am not having any
problems accessing your ADDE remote server.

Questions:

- when you tried to view the GINIEAST (or GINICOMP, GINIWEST, etc.) datasets
  using IDV at your site, did you make sure to capitalize the group
  name (i.e., GOESCOMP not goescomp, etc.)?

- if your view of which datasets are or are not available is being
  determined by the list of datasets that is shown in the dropdown
  selector in the IDV, then it means that the file PUBLIC.SRV has
  not been setup on your machine.  PUBLIC.SRV is a copy of RESOLV.SRV
  that has all dataset definitions that you do _not_ want to be
  publically accessible removed.

  No worries about PUBLIC.SRV, however.  Simply type in the name of
  the dataset group you want to access in the Dataset: entry box
  of the Image chooser.  Make sure to capitalize the group name
  you want to see (i.e., GINICOMP, not ginicomp, etc.).

Since ADDE access to tornado.geos.ulm.edu is working nicely (we'll figure
out your IDV problem), are you willing/interested in tornado being included
in the set of Cooperating Community Servers page in the Unidata McIDAS
section of our website:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Software
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software
    McIDAS
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas
      Publically Accessible McIDAS ADDE servers
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/adde_servers.html

Ticket ID: TSY-435654
Department: Support McIDAS