[McIDAS #EXQ-796373]: McIDAS install

Hi Gilbert,

re: things needed for the ADDE remote server
> OK, so we should be good to go.

Very good.

re: are you referring to 'mcxconfig'?

> D'oh! Yes, this and to the one below. Mcxconfig is stated to be put in
> /home/mcidas/workdata after you compile McIDAS.

Can you tell me which web page says this so I can correct it?  Thanks!

re:
I have never seen references to MCX.NAM or MYADDE.BAT from 'mcxconfig'.

> Not from mcxconfig, but within the files themselves.

OK.  MCX.NAM will be a file created by the installation.  MYADDE.BAT
sets up a local ADDE dataset, MYDATA, that can accommodate McIDAS data
files of type AREA, GRID, POINT and topo (which is also AREA).

re: Your experience is outside of anything I have seen so far.  I see that you
(or Paul) is reinstalling McIDAS on climate right now.  I will kibitz to
see if anything jumps out at me.

> I just finished the installation. Turns out we didn't have gfortran
> installed. D'oh! That'll cause problems. Dave just fixed that. Look at our
> .mcenv and my .bashrc; everything *should* be there now as you recommend.
> The ADDE server should also be running, based on what you told me above.
> If this doesn't do it, I am simply out of ideas.

Here is what I do not like about how the .bashrc file is setup on climate:

- instead of reading the configuration from ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.sh (my
  strong recommendation), values are hard coded.

  Here is the page with my recommendations:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/current/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

- FC is defined to be: export FC=/home/mcidas/mcidas2008/src/mcfc

  This is an archaic reference that MUST be removed

- the build is set to use g77 instead of gfortran:

  VENDOR=-g77

  gfortran is of the same vintage as gcc on climate.  g77 is much older.  It
  is better to use matched C and Fortran compilers in the build as there should
  be less problems down the road.

Ticket ID: EXQ-796373
Department: Support McIDAS