[McIDAS #ZHQ-767263]: McIDAS ADDE server for raw GVAR data from CLASS

Hi Denise,

Sorry for the slow replies today...

re:
> Thank you.  I can list and display the images.

Fantastic!

> One last question (I promise)

:-)  Yea, sure ;-)

> - how do I save/convert these images to AREA format?  I think
> that was the ultimate goal.

Yes, that was the goal that Bernie spoke of.

Here goes:

The process you will use is copying from the input GVAR dataset to an
output dataset of type AREA.  This copy is done using the McIDAS IMGCOPY
command.

Here is what you should do:

- create a dataset of output type AREA.

  The Unidata McIDAS distribution has a BATCH file that will do this
  (and more) for you,  MYADDE.BAT.  This is run as follows:

  BATCH MYADDE.BAT

  This creates 4 ADDE datasets:

  MYDATA/IMAGES - all images in AREA format; file names are AREA0001 - AREA9999,
                  inclusive
  MYDATA/GRIDS  - all grid files in GRID format; file names are GRID0001 -
GRID9999,
                  inclusive
  MYDATA/PTSRCS - all point files in POINT format; file names are MDXX0001 -
MDXX9999,
                  inclusive
  MYDATA/TOPO   - topography images in AREA format; file names are AREA9000 -
AREA9019,
                  inclusive

- after you have created an output dataset of AREA format, you copy the source
image
  to the destination image.  The conversion in type is done implicitly for you
based
  on the output dataset type which, in this case, will be AREA:

  IMGCOPY GOES12/ALL.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.1 SIZE=SAME BAND=1

  This copies the entire BAND 1 image (VIS, 0.65 um) from the source image to
  position 1 of the output dataset.  The name of the output on disk will
  be AREA0001.

  IMGCOPY GOES12/ALL.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.2 SIZE=SAME BAND=1

  will create the output file AREA0002, and so on.

I believe that one of Bernie's objectives was to copy individual bands
(wavelength
channels) from the source images to individual images in AREA format.  Raw GOES
GVAR images each have all 5 imager channels.  These are accessed using BAND=1,
BAND=2, BAND=3, etc.

You can see what the wavelenghts are for the various channels by running the
IMGLIST command:

IMGLIST GOES12/ALL.1 FORM=ALL

The files AREAnnnn will be created in the first writable directory in the
list of directories defined in the environment variable MCPATH.  For the
Unidata standard way of installing McIDAS, this will be the
/home/mcidas/workdata
directory.  If you want the output images to be written to a different
directory, you can tell McIDAS where they should live using the REDIRECT
command.  For instance, if you wanted all image files named AREA0001, AREA0002,
..., AREA0009 to be read/written in the /uhome/dhummel/goes12 directory, you
would run REDIRECT as follows:

REDIRECT ADD AREA000* "/uhome/dhummel/goes12

Likewise, if you want all images named AREA* to exist in this directory, you
would run:

REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/uhome/dhummel/goes12

NB:

- valid AREA file names are AREA0001 - AREA9999 only.  AREA0000 is an illegal
  AREA file name, and there are only 9999 permissible names.

  One can get around this limitation by changing the file REDIRECTions to access
  different sets of 9999 images.   For instance:

  REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/uhome/dhummel/goes12
  IMGCOPY GOES12/ALL.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.2 SIZE=SAME BAND=1

  will create the file AREA0002 in /uhome/dhummel/goes12.

  Follow this by running:

  REDIRECT ADD AREA* "/data/gvar/goes8
  IMGCOPY GOES8/ALL.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.1 SIZE=SAME BAND=1

  and the output image AREA0001 would be created in /data/gvar/goes8
  and so on.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Ticket ID: ZHQ-767263
Department: Support McIDAS