[McIDAS #ZRN-650937]: ask for access for MCIDAS

Hi Andi,

re:
> It's me, again.:)

:-)

> One of the links is still not working:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/mcidas/xp/2008/mcinet2008.sh
> Please check it!

Thanks for pointing this out!

The file mcinet2008.sh was removed from the Windows distribution of McIDAS-X
some time ago.
I left a reference to it in my documentation by mistake because I was following
the SSEC
documentation which also incorrectly still lists it as part of the distribution.

The following comments from the SSEC v2008 for XP Release Notes explains the
situtation:

  McIDAS-X for XP Remote Servers

  Due to a change in the Windows XP service installation, the ADDE remote server
  installation script (e.g., mcinet2005.sh) no longer works on XP workstations
with
  Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later.  Therefore, we are NOT including a remote
server
  installation script for McIDAS-X for XP with this 2008 upgrade.  (We also did
not
  include it in the 2006 and 2007 upgrades.)

So, I have removed a reference to mcinet2008.sh from the Windows XP section of
the
Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide.  I will contact SSEC and let them know that they
should
do the same.

> Thank you!

Sorry for the confusion!

By the way, I still _strongly_ recommend using the McIDAS-X distribution for
*nix (Unix
and Linux).  If you need to run on Windows XP, then you might investigate using
VMWare
Player installed on your XP machine(s) and loading a Linux virtual machine in
that
environment.  This is what I use on my old Windows laptop, and it works nicely.

Ticket ID: ZRN-650937
Department: Support McIDAS