[McIDAS #TVG-597868]: McIDAS workshop and RAW GVAR data from NOAA/CLASS

Hi Bernie,

This is a quick note on progress made in using the RAW GVAR images you got from
the NOAA/CLASS archive in McIDAS...

First, I have driven all of our email correspondence into the Unidata inquiry
tracking
system for proper archiving.  It will be best if all future correspondence on
this
topic be made via email sent to 'address@hidden'.  Please always
include the inquiry tracking tag '[McIDAS #TVG-597868]' in the Subject: line of
those
emails.  Thanks in advance!

Next, after some looking through documentation about the GVAR transmission
format linked
from the CLASS website:

http://www.class.ngdc.noaa.gov/saa/products/search?sub_id=0&datatype_family=GVAR_IMG&submit.x=18&submit.y=5

(in particular, the document G023_504.02_DCN3_Sect_3.pdf)

I was able to create a procedure to serve the RAW GVAR files downloaded from
CLASS
using McIDAS ADDE.  The procedure is not hard (after figuring it out :-), but
it will
require preparatory steps by you/NREL before the data can be used:

- rename the index files received in the download from CLASS from *.indx to
.INDX (the
  McIDAS ADDE GVAR server assumes that the suffix is in capital letters)

- run a routine to produce an ADDE dataset descriptor file entry for each image
you downlod
  from CLASS (so that the server understands some information about the data in
the RAW file
  (starting and ending lines and elements of the image)

Ticket ID: TVG-597868
Department: Support McIDAS