[McIDAS #QFU-969979]: Retaining calibrated units after imgremap

Hi Greg,

re:
> > I think that the IMGCOPY invocation you are looking for is:
> >
> > IMGCOPY MYDATA/IMAGES.1076 MYDATA/NCDF.6 SIZE=800 800 BAND=2 3 4 5
> > UNIT=TEMP

> I ran this command with the same results:
>
> imgcopy.k MYDATA/IMAGES.1076 MYDATA/NCDF.3 SIZE=800 800 BAND=2 3 4 5
> UNIT=TEMP
> imgcopy.k: Server does not support BAND lists
> imgcopy.k: done
>
> I don't understand why you and I get two different results.

Hmm...  I guess the answer is that the GVAR ADDE server (the one serving the
GOES-10 data directly from the SOUTH/SH dataset) does understand the request
for multiple bands in the copy, but the AREA ADDE server (the one serving the
MYDATA/IMAGES data in AREA file format) does not.  I am surprised by this.

> I really
> need to resolve this ASAP as there are people breathing down my neck
> for this. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me resolve this
> on Monday. Perhaps we can talk by phone?

I say that you will need to create the multiband netCDF files directly from the
data served by the GVAR server.  I guess the problem is that the time span of
the images served by the GVAR server for SOUTH/SH is not long enough for your
purposes.

I tried a number of different approaches to see if I could get around the BAND
list
limitation of the AREA server, but I had no luck.  I thought that I could create
an AREA image with all of the IR bands in RAW units and then be able to create
an
output netCDF with all IR bands of UNIT=TEMP, but that did not work.

What seemed to work was to create an AREA format image of all IR bands in TEMP
units
and then create an output netCDF with TEMP units:

IMGCOPY SOUTH/SH MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 TIME=04:58 BAND=2 3 4 5 UNIT=TEMP
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 2464768
Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 2464928
IMGCOPY: SOUTH/SH.18 copied to MYDATA/IMAGES.3000
IMGCOPY: done

IMGCOPY MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 NETCDF/IMAGES.2 BAND=ALL
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 2463008
Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 2463088
IMGCOPY: MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 copied to NETCDF/IMAGES.2
IMGCOPY: done

% ncdump IMAGE0002.nc

netcdf IMAGES0002 {
dimensions:
        lines = 480 ;
        elems = 640 ;
        bands = 4 ;
        auditCount = 3 ;
        auditSize = 80 ;
variables:

        float data(bands, lines, elems) ;
                data:long_name = "data" ;
                data:type = "GVAR" ;
                data:units = "degrees K" ;

data:

 version = 4 ;
 sensorID = 74 ;
 imageDate = 2008266 ;
 imageTime = 45800 ;
 startLine = 6541 ;
 startElem = 8293 ;
 numLines = 480 ;
 numElems = 640 ;
 dataWidth = 2 ;
 lineRes = 4 ;
 elemRes = 4 ;
 prefixSize = 4 ;
 crDate = 2008266 ;
 crTime = 55340 ;
 bands = 2, 3, 4, 5 ;

 auditTrail =
  "08266  55340 IMGCOPY SOUTH/SH MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 TIME=04:58 BAND=2 3 4 5
UNIT=TE",
  "             MP
   ",
  "08266  55404 IMGCOPY MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 NETCDF/IMAGES.2 BAND=ALL
   " ;

Admittedly, this procedure is more complicated than the one you were trying, but
it is all I see that is possible without extensive code diving.

If this procedure does not suit your needs, then you may be forced into writing
routine that converts single or multiple banded images into a netCDF file with
multiple bands directly.

Questions:

- is it absolutely necessary to have all of the IR bands in a single netCDF?

- is it always the case that those netCDF images are always in TEMP units?

Ticket ID: QFU-969979
Department: Support McIDAS