[McIDAS #ECT-661629]: availability of Unidata McIDAS 2008

Hi Brendon,

re:
> Any word on when McIDAS 2008 will be available from Unidata?

I am working on the Unidata v2008 distribution right now.  I hope to have a
release available by the end of July.  This is the typical release schedule
for Unidata McIDAS.

> I see it is already available from SSEC.

The Unidata release of McIDAS is a superset of SSEC's release.  It contains
extras that include support for LOTS more platforms than SSEC supports;
additional
applications; bug fixes; and a bundling of the -XCD package with the -X release.
The documentation is also heavily edited to match the Unidata build,
installation,
and configuration processes and use.  The large amount of work that is done to
the
SSEC release is the primary reason that it lags the SSEC release by about 1.5
months.

> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: ECT-661629