[McIDAS #XRR-599672]: Configuring scouring of McIDAS data

Hi Samuel,

re:
> I'm getting the exact same MySQL install problems on our new machine that we
> had
> last October.  I'm beginning to think there is a missing step in the
> instructions.

If there is a step missing in the instructions, I am very interested in
pinpointing what
it should be and fixing it!

>I used the stock MySQL install from RHEL5's DVD, and mcidas seemed to install
>fine.

Very good.

> I didn't have to copy any MySQL libraries or anything,

This is _very_ good.  Your problem last time was related to an inconsistent
installation
of MySQL which you attempted to work around by copying MySQL libraries to
places where
they did not belong.

> however the XCD_START.LOG file is complaining about GRIBDEC.PRO&GRIBFILER.PRO
> not found.
> The LDM account has no problem creating files in the /home/mcidas/workdata
> directory,
> so I don't know what the problem is.(again)

My first guess would be that GRID and/or GRIB processing has not been
configured.
Did you make sure to turn on GRIB and/or GRIB processing?  One way of doing this
is:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
decinfo.k LIST        <- check the listing to see if DMGRID and/or DMBIN is
active

If DMGRID (GRID decoding) and/or DMBIN (GRIB processing) is _not_ active, this
is
your problem which is remedied by activating it/them:

decinfo.k SET DMGRID ACTIVE       <- if you want GRID decoding (non-MySQL)
decinfo.k SET DMBIN ACTIVE        <- if you want GRIB processing

If GRID and/or GRIB processing was correctly configured, then the only thing I
can think of is that your McIDAS build did not include support for MySQL.  To
see
if this is the case, please send me the following:

- contents of your ~mcidas/.bash_profile file (if you are using BASH)
- the output from:

  ldd ~mcidas/bin/dmbin.k

> You might want to refer to WTM-677712 as well.

We probably have enough to go on with the above.

Ticket ID: XRR-599672
Department: Support McIDAS