[McIDAS #FDU-863429]: BOWTIE and others

Hi Tyn,

re:
> i just took notice of a presentation of SSEC on McIDAS-X plans for version
> 2008.
> Of particilar relevance are the following notes:
>
> McIDAS-XRD 2007
> • Angles
> • Servers
> – MODIS NDVI
>
> McIDAS-X 2008
> * Commands
> - IMGBOWTIE
>
> Url presentation:
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/mug_meeting/2007/presentations/ssec_software_development.ppt

> Can you make available de XRD 2007 that offers these features, and give me a
> heats up on McIDAS-X 2008 (release date, etc.).

The program Angles is included in the XRD section of my v2007 McIDAS release,
but I renamed it to Satangles because of a name clash with a library routine.

A number of the Servers referenced in the PPT presentation are also included
in my v2007 McIDAS release (based on earlier requests from you :-).  The
complete list from the SSEC v2007 XRD release is:

kalpadir.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
kalpaget.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
mod3adir.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
mod3aget.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
modiadir.cp - ADDE directory server for MODIS NDVI product images
modiaget.cp - ADDE directory server for MODIS NDVI product images
sminadir.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
sminaget.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
tminadir.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
tminaget.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
airxadir.cp - ADDE directory server for HDF-EOS AIRS data
airxaget.cp - ADDE directory server for HDF-EOS AIRS data
amsradir.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section
amsraget.cp - included in my v2007 release in the XRD section

I can look into adding the MODIS NDVI and HDF-EOS AIRS servers into my
v2007 release if you have an immediate need for them.  Please let me know.

SSEC does not release its yearly distribution of McIDAS available until late May
or early June.  They typically keep the XRD distribution release schedule
in lock step with the McIDAS-X release, so I do not expect to see the IMGBOWTIE
application until then _if_ it makes it into XRD v2008.

> Btw, need amy testers for your upcoming release?

I will keep you in mind when I begin working on the v2008 release.  Again,
this will not be until June sometime since I won't have the SSEC release until
then.

> Based on this support request
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg03068.html)
> we noticed your efforts in making available some of the howbrew "bow-tie"
> correction stuff that floats around, primarily initiated by Dave Santek.

> Two things related to this:
> 1) in the MODIS_remap_1KM.tar.gz we only found a routine for 1km files, and
>    not for the 1/2 and 1/4 km. Oops, just noticed it does support the other
>    formats also, the executable name is just misleading.

OK. Not my code :-)

> 2) The last modification was made by A. Li on 9/28/05. Since then, MODIS HDF
> are compressed (as you well know, i'm just listing out my thoughts here),
> which
> maybe a thing to consider later. Currently we get an error message "Bad GEO
> HDF file
> !!!.../mnt/storage/vxeos/modis/20080412_2048/MYD021KM.MOD03/MOD03.2008103205708.hdf"

> The string for GEO_file is incorrectly contantenated. See the terminal output
> &
> command below...

> Can you help out, my c++ skills are rusty...

I will have to set aside some time to look into A. Li's code.  Since this code
is
not part of my McIDAS distribution, looking into the problem will need to wait
until
some other much higher priorities are attended to (some proposal writing pieces
that
are have an impending deadline).

Ticket ID: FDU-863429
Department: Support McIDAS