[McIDAS #EAZ-791845]: McX2007

Hi HP,

Sorry for the late reply; it was a busy day today...

re: skiing
> Well, I am still at 0 days, but in Februrary I did the highest top of
> the Arab peninsula (by car). Full of locust at close to 3000m!

Wow!  Locust at 3000m!!

re:
> Tom W (2ith little help from me) will host a workshop type of McV
> presentation at the EUMETSAT Users' Conference in Sep.

Fantastic.  Tom will (always does) a great job!  I will chat
with Tom about this while he is staying with Cathy and me next
week.

re: OpenSUSE 10.3 versus 10.1

> Indeed. But many things are much cooler and more immediate (e.g. no
> hassle with the wireless). That's why it would be nice to be able to
> stick to 10.3

OK, I think that this is the best approach as well.  I will start an
OpenSUSE 10.3 virtual machine download to my laptop this evening so
that I can play with it starting tomorrow.

re: logging into Linux
> I am not versed in this. I note a "RemoteDesktop" in the Gnome Control
> Center. I ticked boxes that allow you to see and control my desktop. It
> says that user should use the command vncviewer.linux.site:0. But I
> doubt this is the real thing ... You would have to tell me what I have
> to do and what information you need.

What is needed is:

- access to the machine using port 22 through your ISP and whatever personal
  firewall you are using

- you running the SSH daemon (sshd) on your system

- you giving me the password for the 'mcidas' account on your machine

- me having the IP address and fully qualified name of your machine.
  If this is your home machine, your fully qualified name and IP will
  be variable unless you had a static IP

re: Have you played with VMware at all?
> No, it's in my plans but I never get down to such lower-priority task

I looked into VMware Player because virtualization is a very hot topic
now.  Also, I wanted to convince myself that Windows users could run
an instance of Linux (various flavors; I have tried Fedora 7, Fedora 8,
OpenSUSE 10.3, and Ubuntu 7.3 along with FreeBSD) in which they could
run our LDM, McIDAS, GEMPAK, etc.

> (maybe I should retire ;-)

Never! :-)

I will let you know when I have successfully downloaded OpenSUSE 10.3 on
my laptop...

Ticket ID: EAZ-791845
Department: Support McIDAS