[McIDAS #EAZ-791845]: McX2007

Hi HP,

> Quite some time we have not been in conversation. I hope you are well
> and ready for the warm season.

I am well, thanks, but I am not quite ready for the warm season... the
snow in the Colorado high country has been fantastic this year, so skiing
has been the best I've seen for many years.  I will be heading up on
Thursday for my 13th ski day.  I thought I was doing OK with 12 days
until I talked to a neighbor of mine yesterday evening -- she has been
41 times so far and is looking to make 60 for the season!  Then again,
she is retired and gets a great senior citizen discount (she is 71 years
old)...

> I am at another McX installation on a new 4GB notebook (I am also looking
> into McV).

Very good.  Just so you know, McV is currently the IDV with some cosmetic
changes.  It will evolve with new functionality, of course, but that will
be incremental (I am on the McIDAS Advisory Committee which is helping
to steer McV development).

> The notebook runs under
> opensuse 10.3 and I would like to install McX2007.

OpenSUSE 10.3!  I only have experience with OpenSUSE 10.1.  Your note makes
it sound like things have changed yet again!

> I have now run into a
> problem with X11. This folder does not exist any more. I only see /X11R6
> in /var and /usr. Under /usr I see the tree
> X11R6bin/
> xauth
> X11R6/lib/
> libGL...
> libfglrx...
> modules/
> dri

Installation of X11 under /var is very strange indeed.

> What should I do. Revert to SuSE 10.1 and McX2006 or 2007?

Well, reverting to SuSE 10.1 should allow you to build Unidata
McIDAS v2007 out of the box, so that may be an option.  The other
option is for me to be able to login to your machine and see
what modifications are needed to build under 10.3.

Is it possible to logon to your machine?

If not, I can look into downloading the OpenSUSE 10.3 virtual machine
for VMware and play with it there.  Just so you know, I worked quite
a bit with OpenSUSE 10.1 under VMware Player running on Windows XP before I
held a McIDAS training workshop at the CPTEC offices in Cachoeira Paulista
Brazil in December 2007.  The setup worked pretty well; it would have
been much better if my laptop was faster and had more memory (my laptop
is old and slow).

Have you played with VMware at all?

Please let me know about the possibility of logging onto your 10.3 machine...

> HP

Ticket ID: EAZ-791845
Department: Support McIDAS