[McIDAS #LSD-361600]: McIDAS format question

Hi,

> Can you please explain to me (or point me to an explanation) of the
> difference between MCIDAS Area File format and NetCDF?

The McIDAS AREA file format is described in the McIDAS Programmer's
Reference Manual:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/prog_man.html

The netCDF API is described in the Unidata netCDF HomePage:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/

The most obvious difference between the two is:

- the netCDF is an incredibly flexible file form in which one can store
  most scientific data

- McIDAS AREAs are specifically designed to store (mainly) satellite imagery

> Are McIDAS X and V storing GOES images as Area files or as NetCDF?

Both.  McIDAS-X has an output ADDE server that can write image data
in a netCDF.  McIDAS-X/V both read and write images in AREA file format.

> Many thanks.

No worries.

Ticket ID: LSD-361600
Department: Support McIDAS