[IDD #TTR-495389]: Slow access to local datasets through ADDE

Hi Samuel,

re:
> Well, I believe that McIDAS/CURDAY isn't at fault here.  It looks like IDV
> somehow knows the default
> image sizes that won't overflow it's default memory configuration.

Exactly.

> I was simply tring to add a dataset for a single day (to speed up access of
> current information).

The simplest way is to simply change the definition of the GINIEAST/GE1KVIS
dataset to use the \CURDAY
construct.  Since the IDV has a configuration file that knows about the
standard set of GINIEAST
datasets, it will know to load part of the image by default, and it will not
overflow memory.  This
is what I was suggesting at the bottom of my previous email.

> I guess I'll have to live with having to move the widgets every time I want
> to retrieve current
> information.

Not if you organize your datasets appropriately AND keep the names of the
datasets the same.

> I don't want to change the memory allocation for IDV, nor do I want to load
> the whole image.

OK.

> I was just trying to make it easier for students to get current information
> quickly.  I guess
> I'll have to live with what we have.

Apparently you did not try the suggestion I made in my last email.  Here it is
again:

Try this test:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
-- edit RESOLV.SRV and modify your ADDE dataset definition for GINIEAST/GE1KVIS
look exactly like the one for GINIEAST/GE1KVIST:

change:

N1=GINIEAST,N2=GE1KVIS,TYPE=IMAGE,RT=N,K=GINI,R1=1,R2=999999,MASK=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/sat/EAST-CONUS/1km/VIS/*/VIS_*,C=GINI
 1km VIS East CONUS,

to:
N1=GINIEAST,N2=GE1KVIS,TYPE=IMAGE,RT=N,K=GINI,R1=1,R2=999999,MASK=/data/ldm/mcidas/images/sat/EAST-CONUS/1km/VIS/\CURDAY/VIS_*,C=GINI
 1km VIS East CONUS,

Exit out of the editor saving your changes.

Next, load the GINIEAST/GE1KVIS image from the IDV. Notice that the defaults
for how
to load the image are now in effect, and your IDV session does not run out of
memory.

> In the meantime I guess I'll have to configure all the NIMAGE datasets.  It
> looks like there are closer to 80
> different directories.  It will take a month of Sundays to change all this,
> plus add the scourBYday entries in cron.

This modification should only take a few minutes:

1) make sure to test your editing changes to make sure there are no typos:

   <as 'ldm'>
   cd ~ldm
   -- modify pqact entries in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf_mcidasA for NIMAGE images
   -- modify pqact entries in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf_mcidasB for NNEXRAD images
   ldmadmin pqactcheck -p etc/pqact.conf_mcidasA
   ldmadmin pqactcheck -p etc/pqact.conf_mcidasB
   -- keep reediting pqact.conf_mcidasA and/or pqact.conf_mcidasB until there
are no errors

2) make the editing changes active:

   <still as 'ldm'>
   ldmadmin pqactHUP

3) write a script that walks the old directory trees creating new <date>
directories
   where appropriate and moving images that are from that <date> into the newly
   created directories

4) modify your McIDAS ADDE datasets as I indicated in a previous email

Depending on your skills in writing *nix shell scripts, this entire process
should
only take a few (up to 30?) minutes.

Ticket ID: TTR-495389
Department: Support McIDAS