[IDD #TTR-495389]: Slow access to local datasets through ADDE

Hi Samuel,

re:
> Do you know what IP addresses/domains you will be using to access Shu?
> It seems to me we had some problem with a firewall related to your office
> location.  I vaguely remember that you could connect from your home, but
> not your office.

I don't remember this, but, then again, I see lots of emails from lots of
people so things can get lost :-)

I would prefer to be able to connect from any machine in the unidata.ucar.edu
domain.  If your IT folks want to limit the machines that could connect via
SSH, then my preference is:

laraine.unidata.ucar.edu <-> 128.117.140.62
yakov.unidata.ucar.edu   <-> 128.117.156.86

(Unidata has several subnets; the IP addresses above reflect this fact).

re:
> In the mean time, is there a way to ensure that account names aren't available
> on your e-mail archive website?  I didn't realize you post all e-mails to the
> world, or I wouldn't have mentioned my personal account name.

We HTMLize all of our support transactions to leverage our small staff's effort.
We believe that others looking for the answer to problems are likely to find
what they need by simple web searches (e.g., Google, etc.) that will get hits
from our previous email transactions.  We strip out all passwords in email
transactions,
so those should _never_ be exposed to the world.  We don't strip out account
names
as they are usually not very useful without passwords.  We routinely and
purposefully
do not strip out account names for the packages we support (e.g., 'ldm',
'mcidas',
'gempak', 'idv') as these are useful pieces of information for the web surfer
looking
for help on a problem they are seeing.

From now on I am glad to strip out/change personal account names. It seems to me
that there should be no such names in transactions from now on -- we are in
the home stretch for organizing your data/data access, so work will focus on
the 'mcidas' and 'ldm' accounts.

Ticket ID: TTR-495389
Department: Support McIDAS