[McIDAS #XRR-599672]: FW: Please remove port 23 access from shu.cup.edu, and add ports 22 & 112.

Hi Samuel,

re:
> O.K. We're still taking with Red Hat support to see why 'yum install gcc-c++'
> doesn't work.

OK.  My experiences during the McIDAS training that I held in Brazil might
indicate that the problem might actually lie with the Fortran compiler
environment
you are trying to use.  I ran into something similar (but not exactly the same)
in Brazil under OpenSuSE, and the problem went away when I switched from use of
g77 (which was apparently not completely/correctly installed) to gfortran.

> Are there a binary distributions of McIDAS we could use, and avoid some of
> these issues?

No.  McIDAS is always built from source.  This eliminates a large set of
problems
that users experience when trying to run on OSes that are not the same as the
ones available in Unidata.  For example, users have reported a range of problems
using binary distributions of GEMPAK on non-Fedora OSes like Centos (which is
essentially a freely available RedHat Enterprise WS release).  When the code is
built on the platform on which it will run, these sorts of problems (missing
shared libraries, etc.) do not occur.   Usually coming up with a working
development
environment is very simple.

I am unsure why your lab machines are not easy to setup with a working
development
environment.  I believe that if there was some way that you could arrange for
me to get a login to the machine having problems, I could figure out what is
really wrong and fix it (would need 'root' access to fix the problem) or develop
some sort of a workaround.

Ticket ID: XRR-599672
Department: Support McIDAS