[McIDAS #GKF-870665]: mcidas2007 and 64 bit linux

Hi Sarah,

re:
> Thanks for responding.

No worries.

> I am not sourcing it directly, I have the block in my .cshrc file.

OK, very good.

> I have attached the .cshrc file although I don't
> think it will help much as it's just sourcing the mcidas_env.csh file.

OK.

> Here are the set environment variables....
>
> MACHTYPE=x86_64
> McINST_ROOT=/usr/local/mcidas
> MCHOME=/usr/local/mcidas
> MCDATA=/usr/local/mcidas/workdata
> MCPATH=/usr/local/mcidas/workdata:/usr/local/mcidas/data:/usr/local/mcidas/help
> MCGUI=/usr/local/mcidas/bin
> MCTABLE_READ=/usr/local/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/usr/local/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
> MCTABLE_WRITE=/usr/local/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
> XCD_disp_file=/usr/local/mcidas/workdata/DECOSTAT.DAT
> MCCOMPRESS=GZIP
> CC=gcc
> CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
> CFLAGS=-O
> CXX=
> CXXCPP=
> FC=g77
> FFLAGS=-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide
> F90=

All seems well.

contents of .cshrc:
> # McINST_ROOT and VENDOR non-conforming shell defines needed to build McIDAS
> setenv McINST_ROOT $HOME
> setenv VENDOR -g77
> if ( -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh ) then
> source $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.csh
> endif

This all looks correct.

In the interim between answering your original email and seeing your second, I
remembered that I have also built Unidata McIDAS v2007g on what would appear
to be the same OS and hardware (at least, 64-bit) as you:

[mcidas@livos ~]$ uname -a
Linux livos.evsc.Virginia.EDU 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Jun 12 17:58:20 EDT
2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[mcidas@livos ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 6)
[mcidas@livos ~]$ cat data/VERSION.TXT
2007g  Unidata 071021         X

The 'mcidas' account on livos (the machine in question) is setup to use BASH,
but
this should not make any difference.

Here are the relevant environment variables from livos:

MACHTYPE=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
CXXCPP=
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
MCCOMPRESS=GZIP
MYSQL=-mysql
McINST_ROOT=/home/mcidas
MCTABLE_WRITE=/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
MySQL_ROOT=TRUE
PATH=/home/mcidas/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
F90=
CXX=
MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
HOME=/home/mcidas
MCTABLE_READ=/home/mcidas/workdata/MCTABLE.TXT;/home/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT
CFLAGS=-DMySQL_INSTALLED -O
FC=g77
VENDOR=-g77
XCD_disp_file=/home/mcidas/workdata/DECOSTAT.DAT
MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
MCPATH=/home/mcidas/workdata:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
CC=gcc
FFLAGS=-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide

NB: McIDAS on livos was built with MySQL support.  The contents of the user's
.bash_profile
file is:

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

# McINST_ROOT and VENDOR conforming shell defines
# needed to bulid McIDAS
McINST_ROOT=$HOME
VENDOR=-g77
export McINST_ROOT VENDOR

# NOTE: uncomment the next two lines that set MySQL_ROOT if you
#       want to build with MySQL support:
#       - leave the value blank if MySQL is installed in a standard
#         location
#       - specify the value as the root directory of the MySQL
#         installation if MySQL is not installed in a standard
#         location
MySQL_ROOT=TRUE
export MySQL_ROOT

if [ -e $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh ]; then
  . $HOME/admin/mcidas_env.sh
fi

Further note:

The X11 library used on livos is in the expected location:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6

so I am left scratching my head about why your setup is not working.

Can you send me the output of:

<as 'mcidas'>
gcc --version
g77 --version

Since the build went without any problems on livos, I am led to suspect an
inconsistent
development environment on your machine.  Exactly what the problem is likely to
be,
I don't know.

Just so you know, I am heading off to Brazil tomorrow morning for two weeks.  My
ability to respond to support emails will likely be diminished.  Please know
that I
am trying to figure out what is going on with your McIDAS build.

Ticket ID: GKF-870665
Department: Support McIDAS