[McIDAS #XRR-599672]: FW: Please remove port 23 access from shu.cup.edu, and add ports 22 & 112.

Hi Samuel,

re:
> Dave and I have been trying to use 'yum update gcc-c++' or
> 'yum install gcc-c++' with no success.

To find out exactly which package to install using yum, do the following
on your fully configured RedHat Enterprise 5 workstation:

rpm -qf `which cpp`

This will list out the full name of the package that needs to be installed
on the machine(s) that don't have complete development environments.

> The machine seems to be up-to-date as far as it's packages, but a simple
> 'cpp hello.cpp' doesn't even work. it gives "cpp: error trying to exec
> 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory"

This is more involved than C++ not being installed.  It is as if C++ is
installed, but some piece of the installation is missing/bad.

> We were wondering if that's an option for Redhat Enterprise 5 64 bit edition

I am assuming so, but I have no way of guaranteeing this as we do not
have a RedHat Enterprise 5 system in-house that we can use to verify the
exact procedure needed.

Can you give me access to the machine on which you are having problems?
If the machine is not accessible from outside of the CUP campus, this
may require that you (re)give me access to shu.cup.edu after enabling
shu.cup.edu to have access to the machine in question.

Ticket ID: XRR-599672
Department: Support McIDAS