[McIDAS #VAN-990122]: IDV and EUMETSAT network ...

Hi Marianne,

I apologize for not answering this past weekend.  I was enjoying the fine
weather we are having too much to think about work!

re:
> It was good seeing you last week!

I agree.  It was too bad that our schedules did not allow us to get together
more.  Maybe next year, or, if things work out, in Darmstadt :-)

> In the meantime, our system administrator have put in some more
> protection to our internet connection - and the IDV does not seem to
> work anymore (connection times out). I specifically tried (among other
> options) adde.ucar.edu with the group RTIMAGES (hope that exists in the
> first place).

It sounds like your system administrator implemented a block on port 112
traffic.  You can confirm this hypothesis using telnet to machines running
ADDE servers using port 112.  For example, this is the sort of thing you
should see when trying to access adde.ucar.edu:

telnet adde.ucar.edu 112
Trying 128.117.114.120...
Connected to adde.ucar.edu (128.117.114.120).
Escape character is '^]'.

If you get the last line, it means that you are able to connect using port
112.  NB: you will have to kill the telnet session if you connect.

If your telnet attempt does not show a connection, it most likely means
that your system administrator closed down all traffic (out and in) on
port 112.  Since McIDAS ADDE uses port 112, you will need to petition to
have traffic on that port opened through your firewall.

Just so you know: port 112 traffic is still allowed to the machine
running the ADDE server for Meteosat9 data at EUMETSAT, 193.17.10.4.
I just loaded a current 8.7 um image from this server on my home
Linux development machine.

> So if there is just a problem with the group name, please let me know
> and I can try again.

The group RTIMAGES is definitely available on adde.ucar.edu:

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES ADDE.UCAR.EDU

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTIMAGES                     ADDE.UCAR.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GE-IR.-5
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
  98  G-12 IMG      29 OCT 07302  13:15:00     0   72 4
  97  G-12 IMG      29 OCT 07302  12:45:00     0   72 4
  96  G-12 IMG      29 OCT 07302  12:15:00     0   72 4
  95  G-12 IMG      29 OCT 07302  11:45:00     0   72 4
  94  G-12 IMG      29 OCT 07302  11:15:00     0   72 4
  93  G-12 IMG      29 OCT 07302  10:45:00     0   72 4
IMGLIST: done

Just to be sure that there is nothing special about your trying to
access adde.ucar.edu, here are some other machines you should
try:

stratus.al.noaa.gov
idd.unl.edu
weather2.admin.niu.edu

Right now, the ADDE server at idd.cise-nsf.gov appears to be
unavailable.  ADDE service to this machine seemed to "disappear"
after a 1 day power outage at the ATM offices of NSF where the
machine is housed.  I will be working with our system administrators
to figure out what happened.

> But if it is a problem within our firewall, our system people would
> want to know whether there are certain protocols / ports / or whatever
> things which I will never understand that need to be enabled for IDV?

The IDV accessed data from McIDAS ADDE servers using port 112.  It uses
port 80 to access data from THREDDS and OPeNDAP servers.

> Thank you for any help on this,

No worries.

Ticket ID: VAN-990122
Department: Support McIDAS