[McIDAS #KBK-637422]: adde slow

Hi Tyn,

This will be a pretty short message since I am Madison, WI attending the McIDAS
User's Group
meeting...

> how are you and Cathy?

We are both well, thanks!  How have you been, and what exotic trips have you
taken lately?

> The other day you explained why adde access form outside (adde.itc.nl) was
> slow. Can you
> help me with a fix?

The situation I was referring to was when there was authorization being made
through
port 113, the 'auth' port.  The authorization, a *nix thing, not McIDAS, if not
dropped
on the floor immediately (i.e., denied outright by the firewall) and not acted
on (no
authentication done) causes a 30 second wait in each transaction. What we did
was adjust
our firewalls to drop 'auth' requests so that the 30 second delay does not
occur.

> Also, adde.ucar.edu and gp16.ssd.nesdis.noaa.gov seem to be offline. Can you
> confirm this?

I just loaded POINT data from adde.ucar.edu with no problems and the current
band 2
FY-2 image from the PUB dataset on gp16.  Both accesses were nice and fast, so
there is
currently no problem.

Got to get dressed and head out for some coffee with others here for the MUG
meeting...

Ticket ID: KBK-637422
Department: Support McIDAS