[McIDAS #FTB-213912]: Image Display Issue, MCIDASx2007c on AIX

Hi Martha,

re:
> Tom, I am going to re-send this, as I haven't gotten a response from you

I held off sending a reply because you noted that you were leaving the office
a half hour after you sent the last email...

> and our email appears to me to have had problems overnight.  My
> apologies if you had already received this message.

No worries.

re: was v2007c the first v2007 install on your AIX machine

> Yes, this was the first 2007 build and it was a build, not an update.

OK.

> And I am talking about running the UNIDATA-recommended tests, and these
> tests are run in a MCIDAS session after setting up the temp
> environmental variables - MCDATA, MCPATH, etc to point to
> /home/mcidas/mcidas2007/src, etc as specified in your test proc.

OK.  Since you are able to display images from a remote ADDE server
(one of the tests I asked you to run yesterday), I would say that
the problems you are seeing when running the test procedures are
related to the setup to run the tests only.  Given this, I recommend
that you go ahead and finish the installation of v2007, and then
see if you have any problems.

re: what are the specific symptoms of the display failure?

> No image appears.  I enter the command "IMGDISP TOPO/CONF etc" as the
> procedure specifies and
> The command prompt in the mcidas command window comes back immediately.
> There is no image size information/transfer status info displayed and
> the image itself does not display.

This _is_ strange alright, but the fact that you can display images
from a remote ADDE server tells me that the image subsystem is working
correctly in the new build.

re:
> Yes, that's it, your tests are what I am talking about and I could not
> repeat the tests in a predictable mannner, that is, I'd run the tests,
> they would work and the image displayed, I did not delete TOPO/CONF,
> exited MCIDAS, returned to MCIDAS, tried to display the image, then
> nothing, then exited again without deleting TOPO/CONF, started mcidas,
> and the image would display.   It is very erratic; that's why I thought
> it might be load on the AIX box stopping adgetsrv(sp?) from working .

I have no explanation for the problems you are seeing in running the
tests, but I am betting that it is related to the environment that
was setup before running the tests.  Since the image display subsystem
is working correctly, and IF you can also put a map on top of an image
displayed off a remote ADDE server, then I think you are safe in proceeding
with the McIDAS v2007 installation.

re:
> When I say command prompt, I mean in the "MCIDAS command window". I am
> definitely running all the tests in a MCIDAS session.

Very good.

re: We also can no longer display the ADDE datasets on the AIX box from
other systems.  I did cut over to the 2007 version of mcadde but it
did not help.

I am not sure what you mean by cutting over to the v2007 for mcadde.
If your system is setup per Unidata instructions, then this would mean
that you went ahead and finished the installation in the 'mcidas' account.
Is this the case?

re: displaying an image off of a remote ADDE server
> Tom, these commands did give me a display.  I cannot compare it to your
> results as our firewall or spam filter stripped it out.  The display is
> centered in SA and shows part of NA as well.

This sounds like the same thing my attached image showed.  The sector
I asked you to display is centered on 0N, 72W.  It is a composite of
GOES-East and GOES-South (GOES-10).

> And I can display a CONUS/EAST image from our GOES EAST ingestor's ADDE
> server on the AIX box without any problem.  It appears to be datasets
> _resident_ on the AIX box that are not working, whether accessed locally
> on the AIX box or as ADDE datasets from one of our other MCIDAS boxes.

OK, I understand now.

Questions:

- did you, in fact, finish the v2007 installation in the 'mcidas' account
  on the AIX machine?  I am assuming that this is what you meant by
  cutting over to v2007 for 'mcadde'

- as a checkpoint, please send the output of the following in the Unix
  login before you run a McIDAS session as 'mcidas':

env | grep ^MC

  cd $MCDATA
  dsserve.k LIST

Ticket ID: FTB-213912