[McIDAS #ZIJ-447249]: Need your help, Tom!

Hi Gilbert,

re: GEMPAK and McIDAS can used images in compressed, broadcast format

> If I can just accomplish the same purpose by just FILEing them with no
> loss of usage capability, let's do it!

OK.  I changed the FNEXRAD, NIMAGE, and UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) decode actions
to 'PIPE -close util/ldmfile.sh' actions.  The Bourne shell script, ldmfile.sh,
logs the receipt and FILEing of each product to ~ldm/logs/ldm-mcidas.log.

I think that things are once again running correctly on weather.admin.niu.edu.
In order to get things running fully, I had to:

<as 'root'>

- create the user 'mcadde' with HOME directory /home/mcidas as a non-login
account

- rerun the ADDE remote server setup:

cd /home/mcidas
sh ./mcinet2007.sh uninstall mcadde
sh ./mcinet2007.sh install mcadde

- install g77:

yum install compat-gcc-34-g77-3.4.6-7

  This was needed for the ldm-mcidas decoders 'nldn2md' and 'proftomd'

- installed iostat:

yum install sysstat-7.0.4-3.fc7

  This was needed for the system monitoring being done every minute as 'ldm'

<as 'ldm'>

- incorporate McIDAS processing through a consolidated McIDAS pattern-action
file,
  ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf_mcidas

- pare down the datastreams being processed by ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf and
~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak
  to just the ones for which there are actions

- comment out the McIDAS actions from ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf

- modified decode actions in ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak from decode ones to
ldmfile.sh ones

<as 'mcidas'>

- download the latest McIDAS-X distribution, v2007e

- build and install the latest McIDAS distribution using 'gfortran' as the
Fortran compiler

- run the McIDAS configuration script 'mcxconfig' to create McIDAS file
REDIRECTions (LOCAL.NAM),
  ADDE server mapping table definitions (LSSERVE.BAT), McIDAS ADDE client
routing table
  definitions (LOCDATA.BAT), LDM pattern-action files (pqact.conf_mcidas[AB]),
LDM ldmd.conf
  entries (ldmd.conf_mcidas), and LDM crontab actions (crontab.ldm_mcidas)

- modify the actions in LSSERVE.BAT to account for the GEMPAK pattern-action
file (~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak)
  processing actions that can be used by McIDAS

re:
> On weather and weather2, the latter
> of which begins the replacement today. Crontabs and home directory and
> improtant config files in the /etc directory will be backed up.

Good :-)

re:
> BTW, Tom, have you noticed an appareciable performance improvement over
> the original weather?

No, not really.  In fact, I see instances where the system is unresponsive for
several (up to 10) seconds at a time (for instance, when I tried to write a
file I was editing to disk).

> I have noticed none in some things, and significant
> improvements in a few.

The McIDAS build went pretty quickly (approx. 9 minutes).

> It seems like the hard drive read/write is
> noticeably slower,

I agree.

> and WXP images are plotting at the same speed. But,
> when a bunch of WXP images plot, they process much faster. I also noticed
> I "only" have 3.6 GB of RAM, not sure what that's about. Do a "top" and
> you'll see what I mean.

Actually, you can see this more directly from:

cat /proc/meminfo

It is as though 512 MB is either not being seen or can not be used.  Strange...

Ticket ID: ZIJ-447249
Department: Support McIDAS