[McIDAS #KDN-271049]: /home/data/mcidas/images isn't scouring, filling disk

Hi Gilbert,

Sorry I couldn't attend to the setups on weather(|2|3) yesterday.  I had
to troubleshoot one of my neighbor's Internet connection, something that
promised to take a half hour turned into a 3 hour ordeal.

Here is an update on weather:

1) turned on processing of the NEXRAD Level III images in
   ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf_mcidasB

2) changed the crontab entry for scouring the Level III products
   to match where they are being written by the entry in
   ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf_mcidasB

3) adjusted the ADDE dataset list in ~mcidas/workdata/RESOLV.SRV to
   remove the definitions for data that is not being processed on
   weather

4) changed DATALOCs in the 'mcidas' account to point to other machines
   for datasets that are not hosted on weather

5) commented out the GEMPAK log file rotation in 'ldm's crontab

6) commented out all ~ldm/etc/scour.conf GEMPAK entries EXCEPT the
   two that scour NEXRAD Level II (aka CRAFT) directories

7) commented out the ~ldm/etc/scour.conf entry for /home/ldm/logs since
   it is better to keep several days of logs on disk to be able to
   understand problems if/when they arise.  Also, it is "better" (my
   preference) to control log files by rotating them (/home/ldm/bin/newlog
logs/<logfile>)
   than by deleting them

As far as I can tell, the setup on weather is now tuned up.

Question:

- you are processing several stations of NEXRAD Level II data on weather.  Given
  your comment about lack of disk space (which, by the way, I am not seeing
  as an issue given the output of 'df -k'), why are you processing this
  data on weather?

Next up, weather3...

Questions:

- do you have any special comments about what you would like to end up with on
  weather3?

I take this to mean that you want to turn off all GEMPAK processing on weather3
and turn on _and scour_ datasets for McIDAS.  The reason I make the comment
about
McIDAS is weather3 is listed as one of the Cooperating Community Data Servers.
As such, it should have a full complement of data that others can take
advantage of.

I understand that you feel that weather3 does not have the horsepower to do the
processing you want to do, but is there anything else?

Ticket ID: KDN-271049
Department: Support McIDAS