[McIDAS #GVB-850234]: Need help!

Hi Gilbert,

re:
> Weather.admin.niu.edu's LDM is down because it apparently overheats the
> core when it's running. That's because we had mega hits with 4" of rain
> and major flooding today.

The CPU overheating indicates that you should add extra cooling in your
machine.  It is also possible that one or more fans is not operating
correctly (slower than it should, etc.).

> But can you help me find out why I am seeing
> this my /var/log/messages:
>
> Aug 23 18:20:03 weather mcserv: Unable to write ADDE log record:
> Permission
> denied
> Aug 23 18:20:03 weather xinetd[2139]: EXIT: mcidas status=0 pid=4103
> duration=0(sec)
> Aug 23 18:20:03 weather xinetd[2139]: START: mcidas pid=4108
> from=::ffff:131.156.8.47
> Aug 23 18:20:03 weather mcserv: Unable to write ADDE log record:
> Permission denied
> Aug 23 18:20:03 weather xinetd[2139]: EXIT: mcidas status=0 pid=4108
> duration=0(sec)
>
> Any ideas?

I think that this is being caused by the read/write permissions on
the /home/mcidas/workdata directory.  They are set to user+group
read/write/execute, but 'mcadde' is not in the same group as 'mcidas'.
I changed the group for 'mcadde' to the same as for 'mcidas' using
the 'root' login info you provided separately.  I think that the errors
you have been seeing should now go away.

> I'll let it cool down for awhile after so many people have hit it, and
> then restart it tomorrow if we don't get more heavy rain...

OK.  I would check the system's airflow/fans to make sure that it is
getting cooled as much as it should.  If all looks well, I would strongly
suggest you investigate getting additional CPU cooling.

Ticket ID: GVB-850234
Department: Support McIDAS