[McIDAS #TCB-192077]: just a question ...

Hi Marianne,

You will notice that I drove this into our inquiry tracking system before
answering.  The main reason I did this was I view your question as being
pertinent for the general Unidata McIDAS community.

re:
> Just a short and absolutely not urgent question:
>
> Have you ever tried to build mcidas (or the unidata mcidas) on cygwin?
> Any experiences on that?

I have never tried since I expected that it would not work.  I will
ask some folks in Unidata about their cygwin setup to see if I could
either clone it easily or try a build using their environment.
I would suspect that there would be some issues that would be encountered
in the build process, but my big worry is whether or not Cygwin contains
all of the system support required by McIDAS (e.g., shared memory, etc.).

If/when I learn anything with respect to McIDAS viability under Cygwin,
I will certainly let you know.

On a somewhat related topic, the latest Unidata McIDAS distribution, v2006h,
should have the code modifications needed to build out of the box under
SuSE 10.1.

> Hope you are well,

I am doing very well, thanks.  I assume that you know that I had the
good fortune to meet and interact with Henk Verschuur and HansPeter
Roesli (I already knew HP) at the Sahel Conference 2007 that was held
in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso at the beginning of April...

Ticket ID: TCB-192077
Department: Support McIDAS