[McIDAS #FJA-643858]: McIDAS-XRD

Hi Tyn,

re: new McIDAS distribution includes the XRD servers
> Thanks Tom!!

No worries.

> Where can i find a guide/manual for:
>
> AMSR-E HDF image server
> SSM/I netCDF image server

Since XRD routines are not supported, they don't have any documentation included
with them other than possibly online help (which these do not have).  You will
need to read the source code for the routines to learn what you need to do.

> I guess the XRD routines you added to the v2006h distro will extend the
> DSSERVE
> command?

DSSERVE did not change because of the addition of the servers.  You will need
to specify the first 4 characters of the server name(s) in the DSSERVE command
so that the top level ADDE server module, mcserv, knows which subserver to
exec.  For instance:

DSSERVE ADD TEST/AMSR AMSR TYPE=IMAGE DIRFILE=...
DSSERVE ADD TEST/SMIN SMIN TYPE=IMAGE DIRFILE=...
etc.

> Where do i find the INFO= keyword combinations?

Good question.  I think that the use of these servers is going to take
experimentation
and lots of code reading.  In support of this notion, I downloaded an HDF file
of
AMSR-E data (supposedly) from
ftp://n0dps01u.ecs.nasa.gov/SAN/AMSA/AE_MoOcn.001/2007.01.01/,
and took a quick look:

DSSERVE ADD TEST/AMSRE AMSR TYPE=IMAGE DIRFILE=/home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
"AMSR-E DATA IN HDF FORMAT

Group/Descriptor         Type  Format & Range     RT Comment
------------------------ ----- ------------------ -- --------------------
TEST/AMSRE               IMAGE AMSR                  AMSR-E DATA IN HDF FORMAT
                               DIRFILE=/home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
DSSERVE: done

IMGLIST TEST/AMSRE TRACE=1
Image file directory listing for:TEST/AMSRE
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
IMGLIST: Nominal start date is out of range     -1900000
   1  AMSR-E L1B     0 JAN 00000  00:00:00     0    0
IMGLIST: done

The trace file created (in $MCDATA/trce) shows:

SEE trce
ADIRSERV   1:TEST AMSRE 0 0 AUX=YES TRACE=1 BAND=ALL X WL=ALL X WN=ALL X
ADIRSERV   1:MASK is /home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
ADIRSERV   1:TEST AMSRE 0 0 AUX=YES TRACE=1 BAND=ALL X WL=ALL X WN=ALL X MASK=/h
ome/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
AMSRADIR: |TEST AMSRE 0 0 AUX=YES TRACE=1 BAND=ALL X WL=ALL X WN=ALL X MASK=/hom
e/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*|
AMSRADIR   AMSR-E DIRECTORY SERVER Trace Level = 1
AMSRADIR   group = TEST
AMSRADIR   dataset = AMSRE
AMSRADIR   type = IMAGE
AMSRADIR   format = AMSR
AMSRADIR   mask = /home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
AMSRADIR   info =
AMSRADIR   comment = AMSR-E DATA IN HDF FORMAT
AMSRADIR   Request = TEST AMSRE 0 0 AUX=YES TRACE=1 BAND=ALL X WL=ALL X WN=ALL X
 MASK=/home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
AMSRADIR   Dataset = TEST
AMSRADIR   File Mask = /home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E*
AMSRADIR   Number of file found = 1
AMSRADIR   file 0 = /home/yoksas/Desktop/AMSR_E_L3_MonthlyOcean_B02_200701.hdf
AMSRADIR   bband=1  eband=16
AMSRADIR   bPos: 1, ePos: 1
AMSRADIR   value for AUX flag: 1
AMSRADIR   Didn't find Short Name
AMSRADIR   FILE LIST:
AMSRADIR   BEFORE  MAIN LOOP --- bpos=1 epos=1 ipos=-1
AMSRADIR   exit

SEE: Done...EOF Encountered.

So, it was looking for some sort of a "Short Name".  Effort will now have to be
made to figure out what it was looking for and did not find.  A quick read
of the source code shows that not finding a "Short Name" is not fatal.

What is bad is the nominal start date being out of range.  Finding the problem
will require debugging the server code itself.  Before doing this, we need
to make sure that we are trying to read the correct type of data.  Do you
have data that you are trying to read?

Ticket ID: FJA-643858
Department: Support McIDAS