[McIDAS #AIN-927620]: diagnosing issue with ADDE server

Hi Robert,

re:
> Well, I expected everything to work this time, but it hasn't.  I ran inetconv,
> started svccfg did an: import /var/svc/manifest/network/mcidas-tcp.xml
> then did:
> svcadm enable network/mcidas/tcp
> and I also did:
> svcadm disable/enable inetd
>
> I did svcs -a and verified it was running.

OK.

> I added:
> echo "testing"
> to the bottom of mcservsh script.

Try echoing the 3rd and 4th parameters passed to mcservsh and write those
values out to
a file you can cat:

McINST_ROOT='/home/mcadde/mcidas'
echo "mcservsh parameters passed in = $1 $2 $3" > /tmp/mcstatus

The contents of your /tmp/mcstatus should look something like:

mcservsh parameters passed in = mcservsh -H /home/mcadde

If your HOME directory for 'mcadde' is not the same as the HOME directory for
'mcidas', you might need to make the following change in mcservsh:

#McINST_ROOT='/home/mcadde/mcidas'
McINST_ROOT='/home/mcidas'

This change assumes, of course, that you have correctly created ~mcidas/.mcenv
and that it is readable.

> However, I did not get anything echoed back and dsinfo.k X GROUP_ON_SERVER
> reports back
> that nothing is available.

This message from DSINFO executions can be misleading.  If the client's DSINFO
gets
nothing back at all, then the message says that nothing is available.

> I have attached the XML file that was created.  It looks okay to me.
>
> Before I did this, dsinfo.k would just hang, now that I can verify the
> service is
> running, it is at least apparently talking to the server, but still says
> nothing
> is there:
>
> dsinfo.k X BASEMAPS
> No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: BASEMAPS
> No Datasets found of Type: POINT in Group: BASEMAPS
> No Datasets found of Type: GRID  in Group: BASEMAPS
> No Datasets found of Type: TEXT  in Group: BASEMAPS
> No Datasets found of Type: NAV   in Group: BASEMAPS

Again, this message can be misleading.  Putting an echo in mcservsh that writes
a file, not STDOUT should help us work our way through what is happening.

Also, on our Solaris 10 system at least, I had to make the following
modification in
the end of the mcservsh:

#exec $McINST_ROOT/bin/mcserv
su mcidas -c $McINST_ROOT/bin/mcserv

The reason I made this change is because of the following error message
I would get if the change is not made:

DSINFO I SOUTH
DSINFO: error in /etc/inetd.conf: server running as root
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: SOUTH
DSINFO -- done

Ticket ID: AIN-927620
Department: Support McIDAS