[Datastream #XQI-115437]: unidata imagery data stream

Hi Julia,

re:
> Thank you very much for your quick response. But I am a little bit
> confused now. Which dataset contains GOES-12? I thought GOESEAST of
> unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu is GOES-12, but apparently I am wrong.

the GOESEAST dataset contains a combination of GOES-East (GOES-12) and
GOES-South (GOES-10) data.  McIDAS is used to composite GOES-South data
into GOES-East sectors for regions where GOES-East is not scanning (and
for which there is GOES-South data, of course).

> Also, I want to continously get the area files from the datastream using
> IMGCOPY in BATCH script.

If you want a live feed of the images available in the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream, then you should be using the LDM/IDD.  This was setup at
CCNY at sometime in the past, so resurrecting it should not be too hard.
However, if you are wanting to create Visible image sectors that are higher
in resolution than the ones in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream, then you
will need to setup a cron-initiated IMGCOPY from EAST or GOESEAST to a
local dataset.

> But the maximum area number is 9999.

Correct.  The limitation in the AREAnnnn file naming convention is that it
only allows for 9999 unique file names.

> So, if the GOES takes one image/half
> hour(for visible band), there are 48 area files per day. And 9999/48 = 208
> days. How do I get more area files?

What you could do is copy the image sector you want to a local dataset, and
then rename the file into something more descriptive.  You would then setup
another ADDE dataset to access the renamed images.

This is actually what is done in the creation of the image sectors in the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.

Before going further, I would like to understand what your goal is.  If you
are trying to recreate what is already there in the Unidata-Wisconsin datstream,
you are wasting your time.  If you are interested visible image sectors that
have higher resolution that the ones in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream, then
I understand fully.

So, if 9999 images are not enough, how many images do you envision collecting
and keeping online at any time?

Ticket ID: XQI-115437
Department: Support McIDAS