[McIDAS #HGO-210449]: Shared memory allocation problem in Slackware 10.2

Hi Giannakos,

re:
> I am running slackware 10.2

> During the preparation of the workstation i encountered a problem in
> Allocating Sufficient Shared Memory because i don't know how much memory
> i have to declare and how can i see in my machine the maximum  number of
> bytes  i can use for shared memory?

In general, making more shared memory available is good for McIDAS.  I would
not hesitate to setup your machine to allow up to 512 MB of shared memory since
this will allow you to create McIDAS sessions with lots of large frames.

The following advice on how to increase shared memory under Linux was extracted
from the Unidata McIDAS-X Users Guide in the Preparing the Workstation section
in the:

Shared Memory Configuration link
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/users_guide/workstation.html

Linux

The easiest way to redefine the amount of shared memory in your system is
to add the following line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

      echo shared_memory_size > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Here shared_memory_size is the amount of shared memory you want to declare in
bytes. After modifying /etc/rc.d/rc.local, reboot.

      Example:

      echo 536870912 > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

Note: since this will be the last thing run before your system comes up, your
McIDAS session won't get a larger shared memory segment if it's started during
the boot process.

> Thanks in advance

No worries.

Ticket ID: HGO-210449