[Support #III-639429]: SFCCON problems with user defined map

Hi Tyn,

re: excluding certain observations from objective analyses of surface data

There is no simple way to exclude observations from the objective analysis
done with SFCCON, but there is another approach that should work:

You can use PTCOPY to copy all or part of a source POINT dataset to a
destination
POINT dataset including individual observations.  What I have in mind is that
you
follow the examples in the McIDAS Training Workshop/Learning Guide materials:

Lesson 7  MD Files
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/workshop/md.html

  Copying and Deleting MD files
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2006/workshop/md-4.html

- create an output dataset of type MD

- identify the list of stations that you want to include in your objective
  analyses

- use as many PTCOPY invocations as are needed to copy the observations
  from the source dataset to the output dataset.  You will likely need
  multiple PTCOPY invocations since the number of stations that you can list
  in PTCOPY's SELECT= clause will be limited by the Unix shell you are
  working in.

  NB: the first PTCOPY you use will set the schema of the output dataset,
  so I recommend copying data from RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY first.

I think you should be able to copy the parameter(s) you want to objectively
analyze from different datasets to a single output dataset (e.g.,
RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY,
RTPTSRC/SYNOPTIC, and RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY observations) _if_ the observation
type (e.g., T, TD, etc.) is contained in each input dataset.  Again, it would
be best to make your first copy to the output dataset from RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY.

Ticket ID: III-639429
Department: Support McIDAS