[McIDAS #TXI-564922]: Re: 20060804: Unidata McIDAS-X/XCD v2006 is now available

Hi Gilbert,

re: move all NIU-generated/modified copies of ADDEIMAGE.(CORE|SITE|USER) out
of directories in your user(s) set of $MCPATH directories.

> Done on all 3 machines...

Very good.

re: install McIDAS v2006:

> Done on all 3 machines...

OK.

re: put the file you want to reformat into the $MCDATA directory
(~mcidas/workdata

> I don't understand this part. Why the different names? Am I doing multiple
> files at once, or is this a typo, or...what's going on here?

McIDAS has a concept of a triad of configuration files for a variety of
services.
The base configuration files -- the ones delivered with the distribution -- all
have a '.CORE' suffix.  If a McIDAS site administrator (you as the user
'mcidas' on
your machines that run McIDAS) wishes to override and/or add to definitions in
these configuration files, s/he creates a '.SITE' file with the same basename
(e.g., ADDEIMAGE.SITE would be the site-specific file you would create for
MCGUI image load definitions).  You would put the site-specific file in the
~mcidas/data directory, and from there its definitions/settings will be used
by each/every McIDAS user on your system.

Each McIDAS user can create his/her own set of configuration files.  Those files
will have the suffix '.USER', and _must_ be put in the user's $MCDATA directory
(i.e., ~mcidas/workdata for the user 'mcidas' and ~/mcidas/data for all other
McIDAS users).

The hierarchy of use of the definitions/configurations in the files is:

xxxx.USER - used in preference to xxxx.SITE and xxxx.CORE
xxxx.SITE - used in preference to xxxx.CORE
xxxx.CORE - contained in the distribution so it will be overwritten/updated
            with each new McIDAS installation (and possibly with addenda)

The concept is that one can override and add to definitions on a site and
user basis.

For your particular situation, I would recommend that you take the image
load definitions you created previously and put them into temporary file
of whatever name you want (e.g., blahblah.woof) in your $MCDATA directory.
Then run mcguiReform.tcl to convert the entries in the temporary file into
the new format.  For instance:

<as 'mcidas'>
cp ~mcidas/wherever_you_backed_up_your_file_to/ADDEIMAGE.CORE
~mcidas/workdata/blahblah.woof
cd ~mcidas/workdata
mcguiReform.tcl blahblah.woof ADDEIMAGE.SITE

This will create the file ADDEIMAGE.SITE, but you are not finished.  You need to
do two things to make ADDEIMAGE.SITE usable by all of your McIDAS users:

1) edit the file to add a line(s) that defines the the list of servers you can
get
   a dataset(s) from

2) modify, if necessary, the IMGDISP load definitions in the file

3) move the edited file to the ~mcidas/data directory

4) if McIDAS and the MCGUI is already running, you can make your entries active
   by:

MCGUI Configure dropdown -> Load Image Display Defaults -> change filter from
*.CORE
                            to *.SITE  -> click on /home/mcidas/data in left box
                         -> click on ADDEIMAGE.SITE in right hand box ->
                            click on Load

The non-'mcidas' user (e.g., sebenste) would create a file named ADDEIMAGE.USER
and put it in his/her ~/mcidas/data directory

re: Look at the v2006 version of ADDEIMAGE.CORE to get an idea of what the
entries

> Will do this when I figure out the above.

Give it a try.  If you backed up your original work, you can't damage anything.

> They completed fine. So, technically, I am now on McIDAS 2006, sans the
> changes I want.

Sounds good.

Remember to look at the contents of ~mcidas/data/ADDEIMAGE.CORE to get an
understanding
of the format of the lines needed in your ADDEIMAGE.SITE and/or ADDEIMAGE.USER
files.

Ticket ID: TXI-564922
Department: Support McIDAS