[McIDAS #TXI-564922]: Re: 20060804: Unidata McIDAS-X/XCD v2006 is now available

Hi Gilbert,

re: Unidata McIDAS-X v2006
> Is there a chance you could do this install for me on weather, weather2,
> and weather3.admin.niu.edu?

I can do the build when time permits.  Right now I am very busy with some
high priority items, so the upgrade will have to wait a bit.

> Or is this something I can do quickly?

You could easily do the following to get things started:

<as 'mcidas'>
- download Unidata McIDAS-X v2006:

  cd ~mcidas
  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
    <user> umcidas
    <pass> uni_mci!
    cd unix/2006
    binary
    get mcunpack
    get mcinet2006.sh
    get mcidasx2006.tar.gz
    quit

  chmod +x mcunpack

- make sure that McINST_ROOT is set to the HOME directory of your 'mcidas' user

- unpack the distribution:

  ./mcunpack

- build the distribution:

  cd ~mcidas/mcidas2006/src
  make all

- leave the installation undone until your ADDEIMAGE.xxxx values have been
converted
  into the new format and stored in $MCDATA/ADDEIMAGE.USER.

> I have
> made modifications to allow NASA data in on the menus, and was wondering
> if my modified ADDESERVER.CORE and ADDESITE.TXT can be ported into the new
> version somehow.

Yes.  The can be converted "by hand" (drudge work) or partially using a Tcl
script
that I included in the distribution, mcguiReform.tcl.  This Tcl script does not
do 100% of the job that is needed, but it gets close enough that editing
the output file, ADDEIMAGE.DAT, is easy enough.  After editing, the output
file can be renamed into something that the MCGUI will use on startup,
ADDEIMAGE.USER.

> Thanks for any and all help, as always!

No worries.

Ticket ID: TXI-564922